F***... have to move out, real soon.

I was hoping to be here until fall came and started having its effects on my plants and then get the hell out (I hate this house), but it looks like that day is coming sooner; we have to move out within a month. So now, we're going to start packing... but one thing I have no idea what to do with are my plants. All I know... is that those babies are coming with me!

They're in pots, which you would think makes it easier. And yeah, sure, it does--but when they're all either a yard tall or a yard wide (at least), probably somewhat top-heavy, and you consider the movement and shifting of speed/direction in a vehicle... I can't see them going so well on the way. These plants have taken off far beyond what I have ever expected; they're freaking *huge*. Add to that the fact that I have around 35 of 'em.

So... has anyone else been in this situation, trying to move large numbers potted plants? Are there any good ways to ensure the plants safety (especially, no tilting or falling over in the vehicle)? I'm trying to reduce, or preferably eliminate, any potential damage to the plants; that's my main concern.

It's gonna suck--peppers on almost all of the plants have already started to ripen, so it's going to be a massive PITA watering and/or fertilizing them every four days as usual, picking peppers to freeze, etc., all while packing and moving stuff. So much for fresh peppers this year. :neutral:

An enclosed truck or trailer would be ideal. Use a hand truck and strap them to it. You can space them as needed and pack things around the pots to keep them from moving. Plan your watering so that the soil is relatively dried out for the loading and unloading. Wet pots get heavy.

An enclosed truck or trailer would be ideal. Use a hand truck and strap them to it. You can space them as needed and pack things around the pots to keep them from moving. Plan your watering so that the soil is relatively dried out for the loading and unloading. Wet pots get heavy.
Sounds good... I just gotta figure out what to pack in between them. Thanks!

The only thing that surprised me in your suggestion is watering the plants; I was originally thinking wet pots, meaning heavier pots, would be good in that they're less top-heavy, therefore less likely to tip.

Sounds good... I just gotta figure out what to pack in between them. Thanks!

The only thing that surprised me in your suggestion is watering the plants; I was originally thinking wet pots, meaning heavier pots, would be good in that they're less top-heavy, therefore less likely to tip.

Just load a few and leave room to get down around the pots to pack things around them. Repeat this process until you have them all loaded. If you drive easy enough they shouldn't tip.

I've taken some in the back of a pickup truck and also in a car, and had no problems at all. Even in the back of pickup truck going 50 mph they're getting less abuse than during heavy winds.

i would wrap them with string or cord to pull all the branches into a teepee or cone
like they do with the christmas trees and lay them down for the trip that way they can
not fall over cause they already done did, just some strategy like the mc dermotts did
when wind was coming they layed them all down and nothing fell and broke
:woohoo:

I drive for a catering company, we often have fragile boxes of food, large amounts of liquid that can spill, or even food that is already plated. You have to drive pretty dang hard to cause any problems. Where I am going with this is that a large potted plant will take a really crazy drive to tip over. Especially considering the size of the vehicle you will need. Just drive gingerly and try to put them against other items or each other. You can buy Styrofoam sheets to put under the pots to avoid any sliding also. As for watering, I would water them lightly to make the bases more stable and also because a trailer or box truck can get very hot in the back and you don't want to cook them because the soil is too dry.

I would move them in a closed in vehicle and put together some sort of grid made from wood strapping. You come too far to screw it up now…winters are too long without a nice stash of superhots!!

Back