• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests [FAIL] Oil for Aphids?

DO NOT TRY THIS!!!

This was an experiment that did NOT work out!​

Although it did a fantastic job killing off the aphids,ants, and anything that got on the leaves, it eventually killed off any tender new growth.​

I think it would be good to leave this thread open only to prevent this from happening again to some other curious gardener.​
My mistake is now your experience.​

So my cousin is on his first year with super hots. Last week I was at his house for his daughters birthday.
When he showed me his plants, and I was very impressed. His leaves looked perfect!

The plants where all shinny, so I asked him about it. He told me he had a Garlic,Chili infused veggie oil that he sprayed on them to prevent aphids and white flys.

So today I whipped up my own Oil with some old powder from last year and a entire garlic bulb. I bleded it all up and boiled it for a little bit. afterward I strained it through a coffee filter. The result was a nice amber colored oil with a good flavor and a nice kick.

I set up a little experiment. I have a plant that I neglected a little and was covered in aphids. I coated the entire plant with the oil and in a few days we will know if the oil will hurt the plant.

Have any of you guys played with Veggie Oil on plants?

Neem is OK in small amounts, but I have found that it can burn the leaves and isn't cheap.
Also neem seems to be hard on new growth, the area that aphids like the most.

Gotcha, makes sense to me! I will be following this post to see how it works for ya. Good idea btw!

When applied after the sun goes down Neem oil dose not hurt plants in any way, I apply 4 gallons of Neem oil mix every week but, I've been forced to use it every 3 days for the last 10 days. Aphids destroy plants neem oil does not. Thats a fact, been using neem oil for almost 3 years.

GL with the mix pepper juice it is very effective I've used it mixed with neem as well, I also have moved from mild detergent to dog tick and flea shampoo for the dispersant. Very effective on mites that inevitably show up with the white flies and aphids.

Amazon has Gallons of Neem oil for 100 bucks, this is cheap when you price out the crappy 8 or 12 ounce containers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FFA07I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Truly,

Rod

Its working! The new growth coming in FLAWLESSLY! No sign of any buggos! No ants, no aphids, no white flys.
The only thing I saw was dead fungus gnats stuck to the leaves.

Here is my Purple Bhut mother from last year with the treatment. So Far So good!

IMG_20130418_233032_zps6ab26ef0.jpg

That plant is soo...shiney!

Gonna put this one in my arsenal, I get those stupid black aphid-farming ants sometimes. Any idea if this is safe for beneficials? I have a regular population of ladybugs and assassin bugs and brown wasps that I don't want to harm.

P.S. I like the bonus marigold in the pot.

i used to pour old cooking oil on the fence rows to kill the weeds/everything. it would suffocate or smoother all vegetation out in a few days and keep it dead for several months. i'll be interested to see the long term results. maybe it was the soil drenching that killed.

keep us posted.

… Have any of you guys played with Veggie Oil on plants?
Not veggie oil but I love the effects of mineral oil. After I fix my issues, I only spray once a week and all is fine. I do use peppered water to keep pesky animals away, raccoons, squirrels, etc. but think I’ll test adding some heat to see how it does. That said, I have not had a white fly or aphid problem since I started spraying oil, love da stuff ...

When applied after the sun goes down Neem oil dose not hurt plants in any way, I apply 4 gallons of Neem oil mix every week but, I've been forced to use it every 3 days for the last 10 days. Aphids destroy plants neem oil does not. ... ...
Rod, I'm assuming Neem is better but have you compared or tested it against mineral oil? IMO Neem is too dam expensive and if a cheaper mix achieves the same results, then I go like the birds ... cheap, cheap, cheap, lols.

Its working! The new growth coming in FLAWLESSLY! No sign of any buggos! No ants, no aphids, no white flys. …
Congrats, sounds great \o/

Not veggie oil but I love the effects of mineral oil. After I fix my issues, I only spray once a week and all is fine. I do use peppered water to keep pesky animals away, raccoons, squirrels, etc. but think I’ll test adding some heat to see how it does. That said, I have not had a white fly or aphid problem since I started spraying oil, love da stuff ...

So do you just use straight mineral oil, or do you mix with something?

DO NOT TRY THIS!!!​

This was an experiment that did NOT work out!​

Although it did a fantastic job killing off the aphids,ants, and anything that got on the leaves, it eventually killed off any tender new growth.​

I think it would be good to leave this thread open only to prevent this from happening again to some other curious gardener.​
My mistake is now your experience.​

So do you just use straight mineral oil, or do you mix with something?

Mix. My local hardware sells mineral oil in a sprayer bottle that you hook up to the hose and automatically mixes while you spray. I've never had a problem with mineral oil hurting my plants.

Pyrethrin, however, absolutely FRIED my tender new growth and caused significant damage to the mature leaves. I pulled the damaged leaves off and they have fresh, healthy growth coming back. I even saw my first little jalapeno this weekend, so they survived.

I've never tried Neem oil, but the mineral oil works fine for me..... whiteflies and aphids.

Back