• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Failed to germinate or..........

Some just plain Died on me.So I am having to scratch Italian Giant Beefsteak and two others.Almost had to do this with Suddath but one lone seed germinated.My peppers are still here cept white Habs and and Italian frying pepper.

Other than these my Thesolaniki plants are still growing strong and will be in the garden on schedule about a week from now followed by San Marzano , Amish Paste,Cherokee Purple, and Cosmonaut Volkov. Al-Kuffa seems to be a slow grower but still looks ok. More toward the end of May My other tomatoes should be out.And that goes for peppers as well.My other seeds which are direct seeding will all be out by that time too. I am just a bit concerned about what hit that group of tomatoes and a few of my peppers.I know some of ya out there had some germination probs or some die off.What are you doing to compensate?

Kevin

Ciao Kevin-

I had a few stubborn tomatoes this year. Yellow Agate and Quedlinburger Frühe Liebe were particularly tough to get going. I re-sow 2 weeks later if things don't sprout up. I figure 14 days is plenty of time for tomato seeds with bottom heat. If they want to come up later on, that's fine, but I'm not going to waste time wringing my hands and fretting over it. I also had to work to get enough Franchi Pears for this year. They germinated slow for me last year and darn it if I didn't use the same seed source for this year's batch. Next year, they'll be my own saved seeds that I use. I've put seeds between damp paper towels in ziploc bags on my computer, but you know what..sometimes they'll come up just fine on their own in brand new starting mix. The cut-off date for me starting more seeds is the end of April. Four weeks will get them to about 6" above the soil line and that will work for my needs or I'll just plant them the first week of June so they can be slightly bigger at transplant.

That is about what I do.I am disappointed but I still have some nice seedlings that are strong that will go in the garden up till the end of May.Like farmers we are at the mercy of what nature gives us.So we regroup and compensate and pray the rest of our plants continue to do well.Its still early in the season and I still may have a bumper crop.

Kevin

Back