• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Fantastic salsa

This was inspired by a Rick Bayless recipe from the Yucatan.

Juice of 2 limes,
3 teaspoons garlic salt,
1/4 pound of habaneros (about 12). 

Put everything in a blender and smash to bits on the highest setting for about 5 minutes. Cool in the fridge for about an hour. 

This stuff is incredibly delicious and moderately hot.

Enjoy!!!

Photos to come...........

Here you go,

Pretty much how I like my salsa too. The real deal. Fresh pepper flavor. Pureed.

If you have time, cut the habs in half and deseed. Just makes it that much more smoother.

What does Bieber have to do with salsa? Oh wait.

bierber_salsa.jpg

I make mine like this:

5-10 tomatoes (5 if they're large, 10 if not...no preference on what type)
4-6 habaneros
8-10 jalapenos
6 cloves garlic
1/2 large onion
cilantro
Kosher salt (to taste)

Blanch the tomatoes to remove the skin, cut into quarters & toss into blender along with garlic cloves, peppers, cilantro & onion.  Blend until consistency is like Nigel's photo above.  Dump into bowl & add salt to taste.  Refrigerate.  Eat on anything & everything you can think of...chips, tortillas, Hebrew National dogs (yep, I said Hebrew National dogs - works good for Oscar Mayers & Ball Parks too, but only "beef" varieties, since "meat" dogs taste like $h1t), beans, rice, beans & rice, etc.,.  Batch lasts about a week (or less if I'm really craving it, which is normally the case).  For the record, although I love vinegar, I just don't care for my peppers or salsa to contain any vinegar...I think it ruins the flavor.

I bring a small container (maybe 1/4 cup) to work every morning to dip my tortilla into & then drink whatever's leftover...yes, I said "drink"...it hurts sooooooo good!

I just harvested most of my jalapenos last night (about 4-5 dozen),  In about a week I should be harvesting my habaneros (probably 10 dozen or more).  Ghost peppers (1 plant - about a dozen peppers) are probably 2-3 weeks away from harvesting.  Tabasco peppers should be turning red shortly.  Cayenne peppers are about 1/3 harvested.  Not sure what variety Brazilian hot pepper I have, but they're probably 2-4 weeks from harvest.  Thai hots are 4-6 weeks from harvesting.  And last but not least - my lone Trinidad Scorpion plant has finally shown its peppers (about 1/2 dozen) - they're about peppercorn size right now, but I hope to get them harvested before the weather changes.  This is my first foray into the super-hots...can't wait to get there!

Beautiful and simple.  I have gotten away from fresh salsa w/ all my hot sauce making and apparently need to revisit. I feel my first chocolate hab harvest coming on and this looks like an excellent way to celebrate.

Nigel said:
Juice of 2 limes,
3 teaspoons garlic salt,
1/4 pound of habaneros (about 12). 

Put everything in a blender and smash to bits on the highest setting for about 5 minutes. Cool in the fridge for about an hour. 

This stuff is incredibly delicious and moderately hot

Wow!  That's probably the most pepper dominant salsa recipe I've ever seen.  Then again, this is the first salsa topic I've seen here as well so... :rolleyes:

Back