Fast germinating cucumbers

On Monday afternoon, I sowed four cucumber seeds, two Holland Hothouse, a Diva and Tasty Jade. The last two had sprouted overnight.

All three are suppose to be greenhouse cukes and self-pollinating. They are now about an inch from my grow light. Once they are large enough, they will go into a hydro unit.

Mike

These seeds came from - gasp - Reimers. Not by choice, they were selling seeds for 35-75ยข each (these hybrid, self-pollinating seeds are expensive) but they were better than the $1.25 some companies were asking.

Mike

First picture:

10-10cukes.jpg

This is one day after the seeds sprouted. Besides their size, notice how they are bent. They are under a 225 bulb, 13.8 watt LED panel. I'm wondering which color light is having the pull on them? The plants are very close - two inches from the bulbs, and there are two red bulbs for every one blue. IIRC, plants use more red than blue so I'm wondering if a mixed panel is the best for seedlings?

Your thoughts?

Mike

all I can say is DAMNNNNNNN!!!!!

Wordwiz, How are this plants doing now? More pic's please!!!:)

I planted Black jack Zucchini seeds in the ground and 5 days later the plants are 6 inches tall and 8 inches round, And that is just using normal soil and direct sun light.

Must be something to do with that family!!!

Moyboy,

I can't compete with your results. Here's how the plants looked yesterday evening:
10-11cukes.jpg

and how they look 24 hours later:
10-12cukes.jpg

They do seem to get leggy, but the ones I started this spring did the same thing.

Mike

Mate, I wouldn't say they are getting leggy. I think (and trust me, i'm no expert) that it is ok for this type of plant to grow that big before the first true leaves appear. They are a type of runner after all.

I have had cucumbers that have grown this long before producing true laeves. The one thing i have noticed is that they are still ok but the longer they get before producing true leaves, the slower they grow. Just something i noticed.

I planted my seeds direct in ground.

Yours still look happy and strong so i wouldn't worry to much

moyboy said:
Mate, I wouldn't say they are getting leggy. I think (and trust me, i'm no expert) that it is ok for this type of plant to grow that big before the first true leaves appear. They are a type of runner after all.

I have had cucumbers that have grown this long before producing true laeves. The one thing i have noticed is that they are still ok but the longer they get before producing true leaves, the slower they grow. Just something i noticed.

I planted my seeds direct in ground.

Yours still look happy and strong so i wouldn't worry to much

Nice advice, not that i know anything about the aforementioned:rolleyes:

I went to move the cells this evening and broke one of the stems, not in half but enough to know it will not survive. Out of curiousity, I pulled it out of the cell figuring it wouldn't have much in the way of roots. For a plant that has been sown for just nine days, it has a decent root system, much bigger than I thought it would be.

Perhaps this is normal for cukes but in a few days I'll try a tomato to see how it looks.

Mike

I just read somewhere that they follow the blue light. I think it was in the second link somebody suggested in a recent grow light thread.

wordwiz said:
I went to move the cells this evening and broke one of the stems, not in half but enough to know it will not survive. Out of curiousity, I pulled it out of the cell figuring it wouldn't have much in the way of roots. For a plant that has been sown for just nine days, it has a decent root system, much bigger than I thought it would be.

Perhaps this is normal for cukes but in a few days I'll try a tomato to see how it looks.

Mike

Mike you ever tried Lemon cucumber delish if you need any seeds p.m
:mouthonfire:

Talas,

Never heard of it. I presume it's good? I know I am going to raise Sikkims again next year. They don't look like a cucumber, being almost the size, shape and color of cantalope, but they have a great taste and not many seeds.

BTW, the one plant whose stem broke and I almost uprooted - it's still living. For the time being, they are under CFL lights. I made a cutting of a Bhut and am trying (so far unsuccessfully) to clone it. If it doesn't work, and after two weeks of being in water I don't it will, I'm going to put the cukes in that system.

Mike

I will grow lemon cucs next year thanks to a friendly member who has sent me some seeds. They are said to be delicious. They are yellow - of course - and have the shape and app. size of a lemon.

Back