food Fat Tuesday Feast

Greetings...and a happy Fat-Tuesday-Eve to one and all.

In preparation for the start of lent,Saturday I visited a local butcher shop that makes very good home made andouille sausage. They also had some frozen gator meat...so I picked up a couple pounds of that also.
But, while I have eaten it in the past at restaurants.... I have never cooked it myself and considering the price I paid,I rather not learn by mistake..
Just wondering if anyone has any gator recipe's or suggestions they might be willing to share before tomorrow night feast begins.

......................"Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler"
Thanks
CM

cube it, shake it in flour/spice mix with salt and pepper (extra spicy if you want), then toss it in the hot oil (about 375) until it turns that perfect golden brown color...test a piece and adjust your cooking time accordingly...

for a dip to go with the fried gator tail,

equal parts:
Bing Cherry Preserves
Regular old Kraft BBQ sauce
Prepared Horse radish

cube it, shake it in flour/spice mix with salt and pepper (extra spicy if you want), then toss it in the hot oil (about 375) until it turns that perfect golden brown color...test a piece and adjust your cooking time accordingly...

equal parts:
Bing Cherry Preserves
Prepared Horse radish
I appreciate the feedback AJ.
I had thought the frying temp would probably be a key factor so as not end up being tough or too chewy.
And...we just happen to have a couple pints of bing cherry jam I canned last season. Who knows, that dip might even entice the Missus to try some gator as well.
Thanks.
BTW...my 5 month old grand-daughter(Ft Worth born and bred) will be flying in tomorrow...just in time for dinner. Kinda cool that I'll be serving her mom & dad a dish where the recipe(s) came from another F/W resident.
"Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler"

cool Monsta...bon apetite

equal parts:
Bing Cherry Preserves
Prepared Horse radish
Hey Hey Hey!! Stay away from my Gators!! :lol:

Seriously, +1 for fried gator!! It is awesome! and that sauce looks good too!

CM,if you have a dehydrator , gator makes for some excellent jerky!

Kevin

A green or yellow thai curry gator is very nice :)
make a yellow curry paste with some yellow or orange superhots or habaneros. :)

it's just like chicken, make sure it's cooked through completely! Though its kinda hard not to :P

do you guys down under have gators or just crocs?...

Is there anywhere around here to buy some gator AJ? It sounds delicious!

I'm pretty sure they have gators inland and crocs closer to the ocean down under. I think I saw a show where the crocs will eat gator when their territory crosses.

If you go to my profile page you will find a cajun base upon which any meat we eat can be added with joy.

+1 on the cajun base recipe....
I used 1 package of gator for Fat Tuesday(which turned out great thanks to AJ's input)....but still have one in the freezer.
Never thought about an etouffee style dish....till now.
Toss in a few frozen Tobago seasoning peppers, a pod or two of okra...and Friday night's menu is underway.
Thx HS

Back