Fatalii...Anybody NOT a fan?

Wwwwwwhhhhyyyy are y'all hating on the poor Fatali I quite enjoy them my self, so haters should step off see!!
tommygun1.jpg

I get easily bored by chinense taste and Fatalii is not an exception for me... Very tough genetics anyway, always a great grower/producer.

Cya

Datil

I personally had the opposite experience with Fatalii. First time I tried this pepper I purchased a plant that had been grown with miraclegrow, and I was not impressed with its flavor. When I heard of others describing it having a citrusy flavor, I didnt see it. I converted the plant to full organic and upped its minerals in the soil, and when I ate a piece grown this way I had a change of heart. I noticed the flavor became nicer, more pungent and citrusy, and It changed my mind. I think it makes an excellent seasoning pepper for cooking as it imparts a flavor to the dish when its done. I have noticed that some peppers don't taste so well eating them raw, but when you add them to the right dish then viola! I have a extremely mild seasoning pepper that has such a strong flavor when you bite into it raw that its bad tasting; but add this to foods and it becomes one of the best for its purpose. Perhaps Fatalii is this type of pepper.... one of my next ferments involves only Fataliis, so I will see if its a pepper worthy of creating sauces with. Love using it in foods though.

I'm just starting Fatalii's this year. I also heard and read a lot of hype about them. Not too worried about being disappointed though, as others have posted they work fine in sauces or as powders so I'm sure I'll find a way to enjoy them. Whether or not I continue to grow them will be a question to ask next summer.

oldsalty said:
Wwwwwwhhhhyyyy are y'all hating on the poor Fatali I quite enjoy them my self, so haters should step off see!!

No worries! I'm not a complete hater. I see the potential in a fatalii powder. I personally dont like the mango/pinapple/super sweet hot sauces. I couldnt come up with any other decent hot sauce for my fatalii's. My surplus is going straight to powder. I had the same experience as most people with production/hardiness. Not a single disease probl;em, and my fatalii's were my best producers.

SL3 said:
I agree. While I do love my Fatalii's, I can't dislike a pepper more than Clavo Red! Might as well chew broken glass. But for sure taste is very subjective. I dislike Aji Pineapple as well, but I love Aji Lemon.  

Sometimes I think it is also just the way we grow them, or our individual environmental conditions to consider. My MOA Scotch Bonnets tasted like crap this year. Judy's MOA Scotch Bonnets that she sent me tasted absolutely amazing. They looked identical.

I'm wondering if this happened to me when I grew fataliis and SB MoAs. The fataliis didn't taste good at all. Tasted much like a yellow bhut, which also didn't taste good. The SB MoAs were a let down, but I'm giving them another chance this year. However, my 7 pot yellows were absolutely delicious.

alphajam said:
I like red savina and love scotch bonnets. I've had reaper/scorpion powder and bhut hot sauce. Loved both. . .Not too much other exposure to c. Chinense.

So far the reds and oranges seem to be my calling. I am growing a LOT of variety next season, so I guess I will have to take the consensus and keep trucking along my capsaicin trail:)
You gotta try Bahamian goat pepper. It's the best tasting orange pepper I've had so far. I also think you would like 7 pot yellows. Mine beat my SB MoAs flavor wise.

My Fatalis last year did not grow well in my location, very poor producers but the heat was good, the flavor not so much as the supposed citrus taste never transpired.

I dont dislike nor do I like them but one thing for sure no other pepper kicks me in the nuts harder. Something about them just fires me up and hiccuping. I dont get that from Nagas, TSMB's  or any other supers. Weird  :crazy:

IMO flavour is a bit overwhelming. hard to cook with as that perfume dominates rather than blends. like its been said, subjective.

Back