• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite Ahaheim type pepper?

I love my Ahaheim peppers and was wondering what varieties grow well for THP members.
Personally I've never had much success with BigJims but have had decent crops from big chile hybrid. I also want to grow some of the different colored numex varieties like the sunrise and sunset although the sunset never produced very well for me in the past. I'm also considereing Joe Parker(hotter), Sahuaro, Sandia, or the old 6-4
What's everyone else's experiences and suggestions?

Lumbre, hot and fleshy with nice deep red chile flavor when ripe.

Chimayo, not too hot and loaded with flavor.

Negro de Valle, medium hot with deep rich flavor when ripe.

P...the NuMex Sandias grew and produced quite well for me this year...

one thing I have noticed about them is their color...they are a darker red color when ripe than the other anaheims (just labelled anaheim) I grew...

bjs2006 said:
Lumbre, hot and fleshy with nice deep red chile flavor when ripe.

Chimayo, not too hot and loaded with flavor.

Negro de Valle, medium hot with deep rich flavor when ripe.

I've never heard of the Lumbre, or the Negro de Valle. Do you know of a seed source?
I've grown the chimayo for a few years and am always dissapointed the way they grow for me even after trying several different seed sources. Also I don't really think they are an Anaheim type, more of a unique NuMex type. I believe its actually one of the oldest cultivated peppers

Back