• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite favorite newmex chili

31095_1340566957491_1330704158_30944256_3282986_n.jpg

I grew these Anaheims in 2008. As you can see, they are good producers, even though I did just about everything wrong. The ripe red chiles had more flavor than the green, but they could have been just a little hotter. This year I'm growing NuMex Española Improved, which is supposed to max at 1500 SHU. I'll report back here when they get ready...

31095_1340566957491_1330704158_30944256_3282986_n.jpg

I grew these Anaheims in 2008. As you can see, they are good producers, even though I did just about everything wrong. The ripe red chiles had more flavor than the green, but they could have been just a little hotter. This year I'm growing NuMex Española Improved, which is supposed to max at 1500 SHU. I'll report back here when they get ready...
Has the cat tried any? :lol:

The Big Jim's are my favorite so far. Once they ripen to red they are my absolute favorite tasting pepper. I planted some Suave (habaneros without the heat) and Sunset/Twilight peppers from them this year but I killed the starts when I went away for a long weekend unexpectedly. This year I bought the seeds direct from the Chili Pepper Institute.

By Numex we're generally talking about the Numex/Anaheim types and not the ornamentals also developed by NMSU ;)
Ornamentals would be a whole other disscussion

Beware, there have been many bad bigJim seeds going around forums and seed companies for years. Try to get your seeds from NMSU or a reliable source. I've been dissapointed with several sources and going by the bigJim challenge several years ago at thechileman.org, I believe many others have had the same problems

NMSU is a good and reliable source. I recently ordered some NuMex Heritage 6-4 from them. Anothere good source is the Hatch Chile Express, they sell certified seeds.
I'm growing NM Big Jim, NM Sandia hot, NM Espanola Improved, and NM Lumbre. I don't know of a source for Lumbre seed, I bought some dry pods and used the seeds, I got 1 out of four that survived. I don't use the Anaheims as they are too mild for me or any of the family. Next year I'll opnly be planting/using the NuMex Heritage 6-4.

Back