• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Favorite Paprika Varieties

mememe,

I haven't heard of the two varieties you mention. Are these Hungarian peppers? Do they have heat?

If you have seeds for them, I would love to trade with you.

Thanks, Tom

mememe said:
The best ones are Vezena Piperka and Aci Kirmizi Arnavut (very similar to each other).

I really like these peppers, beautiful corking and they make one of the best powders I have had so far. I have cut big pieces of these dried, and just chewed on them plain I liked the flavor so much, as well as add them to food.

Tom not sure if mememe responded to you in a PM and I was waiting for his response giving him time since he is in Croatia. Judy sells the Aci Kirmizi Arnavut as the Albanian Red Hot. I bought a powder from her last year that was outstanding. The pepper is a crunchy embroidered pepper that is really good. I grew them last year and over wintering my plant. http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/heal-leve/sweet-mild/albanian-red-hot-detail

Not knowing Aaron already grew the Arnavut I sent him some seed.

The Arnavut is really Turkish but widely known as Albanian. The Piperka is Macedonian but also popular in Croatia and Serbia. The Arnavut is practicaly a bigger version of the Piperka.

Great looking peppers with even better taste. Great in powders, but I like them sliced in salads.

Aleppo pepper , its very suitable to make paprika.

This is one of my favorite peppers, and I will be growing a lot of these plants, but primarily for fermented sauce. I love the powder as well though, very delicious.

This stuff is good from Judy!  I know the bottle isn't at the bottom fill but nevertheless it is awesome tasting for egg salad, chicken dishes, tuna salad, whatever.

33OlhyCl.jpg

kentishman said:
Thanks Chiltepin,

I've never seen a pepper like that. Never heard of embroidery until now! There's always something to learn.

Tom
Tom

I know I'm long overdue to send you seeds and I haven't forgotten.

Seeds are Pimiento Choriceiro (I now have fresh seed and have tested germination, hence the delay). This is seed from a Spanish friend and grown by her father for making chorizo sausages, ñora, another Spanish pepper used dried and powdered. While I was waiting I've bought seeds from Meatfreak (Stefan, Tasty Peppers) including Jaranda. There are 3 varieties used in making Pimenton de la Vera, a celebrated Spanish smoked paprika. Jaranda is one of the varieties along with Jeriza and Jeromin. (If anyone knows where to find the other 2 I'd love to hear. I've been looking for years!). I can include a couple of seeds for Vesena Lukschal. expect poor germination though.

I can recommend Pimiento Choriceiro, Nora and Tap de Corti for Paprika. Vesena Lukschal looks great but has always been got by the slugs before me!

http://www.kraizschouschteschgaart.info/gesamtordner_erhalter_sortenliste/erhalter_sortenliste_chili.html (Vesena Lukschal listed here)

Plenty of the PC and Nora to share.

I personally never grew peppers to make (sweet) paprika powder, but the best hungarian varieties are:
Kalocsai 622
Szegedi 80
Szegedi 20
or Palotás (F1)
These have high yields, nice color, excellent taste, and dries well. I can help with seeds if needed.

Jeremy,

Good to hear from you. As usual, you're teaching me some good stuff about paprika. The video showing the paprika harvest and drying was interesting.

Cheers, Tom

ChilliJez said:
Tom

Seeds are Pimiento Choriceiro (I now have fresh seed and have tested germination, hence the delay). This is seed from a Spanish friend and grown by her father for making chorizo sausages, ñora, another Spanish pepper used dried and powdered. While I was waiting I've bought seeds from Meatfreak (Stefan, Tasty Peppers) including Jaranda. There are 3 varieties used in making Pimenton de la Vera, a celebrated Spanish smoked paprika. Jaranda is one of the varieties along with Jeriza and Jeromin. (If anyone knows where to find the other 2 I'd love to hear. I've been looking for years!). I can include a couple of seeds for Vesena Lukschal. expect poor germination though.

I can recommend Pimiento Choriceiro, Nora and Tap de Corti for Paprika. Vesena Lukschal looks great but has always been got by the slugs before me!

http://www.kraizschouschteschgaart.info/gesamtordner_erhalter_sortenliste/erhalter_sortenliste_chili.html (Vesena Lukschal listed here)

Thank you for the info I will look into these types. I want to give the Spanish types a chance, and not judge them by what I get in the stores. Seems most of the powders here, even organic ones don't have that much flavor. I know there must be some tasty Spanish types out there. 

sonka said:
I personally never grew peppers to make (sweet) paprika powder, but the best hungarian varieties are:
Kalocsai 622
Szegedi 80
Szegedi 20
or Palotás (F1)
These have high yields, nice color, excellent taste, and dries well. I can help with seeds if needed.

Thank you for the input. I will look into these as well.

ChilliJez said:
Tom

Hi ChilliJez,
You sparked my interest in the Pimenton de la Vera! :) I started looking for a source of the different powders right away and found one in the mean time; still awaiting delivery at the moment. Now if I could find some seeds of the different varieties would be really great. I noticed that Semillas sells both "Bola" and "Ñora" as separate varieties. Aren't they supposed to be the same?
Are all the seeds you have from an original source? I mean - not from a seed seller but from the area where they are actually grown?

kentishman said:
Hi Marc,

Nice to see you posting on here. This morning I made a powder from all the Piment d'Espelette pods I dried from your seeds.

Tom

Great to hear! :) Do you like the powder? I made some powder of mine too, but it was by far not comparable to the "real stuff". But then I don't live in the south of France either... :rolleyes:
Still have plenty of "real" seeds available by the way... :)

Back