• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Fcaruana Glog 2018

Hey everyone!

I have been reading and getting inspired by the glogs here for about a year and a half now and I love it, so I promised myself I would do a glog this year too. This is my 4th season growing peppers, and with the new raised beds that I built last year I have lots of room for extra peppers (8 beds that are 4 feet x 10 feet). Not all of them will go to peppers, but if I get my way I will be able to use quite a few of them. Anyways, better late than never, so here we go!

Quick story: I got into peppers 3 years ago when I picked up a single habanero plant on a whim - I was at a nursery/farm getting a gift for mother's day and saw a hab seedling for for $3 and said, "hey, habaneros are hot I think.. let me throw this in the ground and see what happens." Plant was amazing - completely won me over with it's beautiful colors and resilience (something ate all the leaves off and the plant completely grew back in a week and thrived)... and I made some tasty hot sauces with it. I was hooked. The next season I grew 33 plants, and last year I grew 74 plants.. I haven't counted yet how many I have this year but I'm sure its more than last year haha.

Grow list for this year:
Fatalii
Coyote Zan White
Red Savina
Carribean Red Hab
Bahamian Goat
BTR (Butch T Reaper)
Bhut jolokia
Peach Bhut
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Carolina Reaper
Bico Roxa
Habanero Limon
Genghis Khan's Brain
7-Pot Bubblegum Red
Yellow 7-Pot Brainstrain (growdown)
Long White Scorpion
Aribibi Gusano
Rocoto Red
Aji Mango
Peruvian White Hab
Yellow Dorset Naga
Reapers

Currently trying to germinate (as of 2 days ago):
Poblano
Biker Billy Jalapeno
Agriset Jalapeno
Zapotec Jalapeno
Padron
Shishito
Thunder Mountain Longhorn
Numex Big Jim
Hangjiao #3 Solar Flare
Serrano
Island Hellfire Cayenne
Byadgi
Habanada
Big Black Mama
SB7J
Fish Pepper
Purple UFO
Firecracker (my favorite)
Aurora
Bolivian Rainbow
Chile De Arbol
Goats Weed
Rooster Spur
"Fang" pepper by Brendan Picante

Unfortunately this is going to be my last "big year" of growing tons of peppers at my house since I will be going to medical school at the end of the summer. My goal was to grow as many different varieties as I could before I'm off, but I'm still going to grow some plants under grow lights (hopefully some fun crosses!) while at school. Can never go without the spice haha

Hope you guys enjoy!

Here a (somewhat) brief bring-you-up-to-speed Glog:

Germinated the superhots first starting 1/10:
IMG_9747.JPG

Transplanted them from the rapid rooters to a seed tray 1/22:
IMG_9769.JPG

IMG_9771.JPG

Repotted some of those to 3" pots and put them under my NEW LED LIGHT :onfire:  around 2/6
IMG_9797.JPG

I got the MaxBloom X4 COB LED light off Amazon and have had amazing results so far. Plants grow better/faster under here than my T5s. It apparently has UV and IR light in it as well. Overall would definitely recommend.

I started the habanero-level hots around 1/25. This was taken on 2/6:
IMG_9801.JPG

The Bico Roxa is one in particular I'm super excited about. Dark purple stems and purple leaves. The chiles are black and turn red. Hoping to make some fun crosses with this one!
IMG_9806.JPG

Shot about 1 week later 2/12:
IMG_9826.JPG

Moved around and potted up:
IMG_9825.JPG

PROGRESS
IMG_0046.JPG

These are the transplanted superhots that I got from the original rapid rooter tray, doing quite well under the T5s.

And here's something fun that happened.. I had left some untransplanted superhots under the LED in the seed tray (didn't have the heart to snip them) and they went out of control... Here they are in the tray on 2/15:
IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

I was wondering how they had grown so quickly, to the point where they were beating out the peppers that had been transplanted into their own pots with way more soil. Then I checked and saw what had happened:
IMG_0078.JPG

They created this CRAZY root system underneath along the capillary bed that went laterally all the way down into the nutrient solution. I was pretty impressed. And aside from some slight nutrient problems I could see from the leaves, they looked very good:
IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

So I decided I couldn't kill them despite already having at least 3-4 plants of each already set aside in solo cups (I was too impressed from this incident); I ripped them up out of there and put them in the cups. I also got a calamondin orange tree for Valentines Day, so that is living under the light next to my survivors:
IMG_0088.JPG

Meanwhile, everything else has been growing well, this was taken about 1 week ago. I'm in the process of transplanting everything to 4.5" square pots that I got by accident from Greenhouse Megastore (I was meant to get a bunch of 2" pots, but they sent me those instead, which was a nice mistake!) Here they are on 2/16:
IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

And now we're all caught up - today it was in the mid-70s (somehow here in NY in February.. extremely unusual), so naturally I took them on a trip out to the greenhouse where I set out a bunch of peppers to germinate for my nursery sales (when Spring actually starts) 2/21:
IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

Will keep this updated now that I'm up and running on THP and over half of the peppers for this season are on their way to the big outdoors. Hope you guys enjoyed, and thanks for following along! More to come!

Back