• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Feeding and bone meal Q

Hello, I just recently started feeding my plants and I am already seeing good results! I just wanted to know when I should up the fert amount to double? Right now I am feeding them 1 tsp of fert per gallon of water. Some plants have 3 sets of leaves and other are growing thier fourth. Also when is a good time to add bone meal to my potting medium? When I pot up again? Thanks!

What kind of fert are you using again? Not sure if this will help or not but http://www.vitasoil.com/bone%20app.htm

No matter what you are using don't double.. hot peppers love low amounts of any fert. Especially seedlings. When they are outside and nearing maturity you can but still.. I'd advise against it unless the plants are showing signs of low nuits of some sort and then double that amount. Bone meal? I guess you could next pot up but really you don't need to until you put them into their permanent homes outside :)

Brandon

what ^^^^ this guys said! i use 1tsp/gal every other watering and only add bone meal when potting up to the its final home and then every couple months i add a Tblsp of BM and scratch it into the top of the soil.

No matter what you are using don't double.. hot peppers love low amounts of any fert. Especially seedlings. When they are outside and nearing maturity you can but still.. I'd advise against it unless the plants are showing signs of low nuits of some sort and then double that amount. Bone meal? I guess you could next pot up but really you don't need to until you put them into their permanent homes outside :)

Brandon

Thanks Brandon! So I want to feed them every time I water right?

what ^^^^ this guys said! i use 1tsp/gal every other watering and only add bone meal when potting up to the its final home and then every couple months i add a Tblsp of BM and scratch it into the top of the soil.

K great thanks! I forgot to mention... What about Cal Mag? I see a lot of postings about it. Along with kelp and stuff like that? Maybe those things will be included in the new Fox Farms potting medium I plan on getting soon?

well it depends on if you want to use organic ferts or non organic. for the most part i use non organic. and as far as cal/mag, i use it to help help when my plants show signs of calcium or magnesium deficiencies. other than that i water when needed and use dyna grow "foliage pro" and once flowers start to grow and open i switch to a bloom formula not 100% sure if it really effects anyhting but its what i do and so far it has worked. i have learned lots last year!

Everytime you water?? Nope.. That's way too much. Fert them once every other week. You will see great results :) I promise.

well it depends on if you want to use organic ferts or non organic. for the most part i use non organic. and as far as cal/mag, i use it to help help when my plants show signs of calcium or magnesium deficiencies. other than that i water when needed and use dyna grow "foliage pro" and once flowers start to grow and open i switch to a bloom formula not 100% sure if it really effects anyhting but its what i do and so far it has worked. i have learned lots last year!

Thanks for the good advice!

Everytime you water?? Nope.. That's way too much. Fert them once every other week. You will see great results :) I promise.

Thanks for the great advice!

Back