• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Feeling like a proud parent, a show of hands

Last night I was getting ready to go to bed and the GF says to me, are you gunna go tuck your peppers in.

Shame on you for forgetting. Smiley I wanted to say your GF has a great sense of humor but she wasn't being funny at the time was she? Jealous of peppers, that's a new one!

Dude you need to get out more. I mean yeah it's cool to get excited about being involved in growing a plant but I don't think I've ever grabbed the fam and made them share in the ooooing and ahhhhing. You have kids so you know what being a real parent feels like, not sure how you can compare watching a seedling grow to that. If I got fired up every time a new leaf popped I would be spending half my time jumping up and down and wouldn't get anything else done. Your 12 year old is going to discover there are many things a heck of a lot more exciting than watching a plant grow real soon. As for you I would suggest you find some new hobbies to fulfill your life. Can you imagine the amount of sheer terror and fun you would have if you tried collecting stamps? Wow!

Ah heck. OK I'll admit my hand is up too. I thought if I wrote that gibberish I could start to believe it, that I wouldn't be such a pepper geek myself. I mean I break out the micro caliper every freaking day to see how much the leaves have grown! I have graphs of growth in height, I use a very fine head lice comb to smooth out the hair on roots! You only check on them two to three times a day? Geez man I spend hours in their room every day! I go without sleep if I see mold! I've got names for all of them for God's sake! You think you're proud? You don't hold a candle to me!!! AAUUUGGGHHHH!!!

Sorry about this, I woke up feeling like being an idiot today. It's good to be excited about growing peppers and sharing it with the family. That's a good reason for doing it. Best of luck to you man.

I couldn't read this without thinking of this old SNL sketch:

Shame on you for forgetting. Smiley II wanted to say your GF has a great sense of humor but she wasn't being funny at the time was she? Jealous of peppers, that's a new one!

She was joking around about that one but yeah i think she may have a little Jealousy going on. She's ok with them but wishes I'd not take it so far. Oh well. Maybe next time i go in there I'll comeout all boned up and chase her to the other room and solve the problem once and for all! Hahaha! She will never bad mouth my babies again.

My almost-5-year-old son is more of a "proud parent" to the pepper plants than I am. He even named one of them (a Beni Highlands seedling named Tom---I have no idea why).

He's demanding a garden plot of his own this year, in which he will grow sunflowers, pumpkins (because he loves pumpkin pie), and a pepper plant for Mommy and Daddy. I think this kid shows some promise!

-NT

It is with a heavy heart that i post this message today.
ONe of my little guys didnt make it through the night. He put up a tough fight by one of my Naga Morichs passed last night.

On a better note, I replanted his twin brother this morning LOL..

Showed this thread to my GF and she got a chuckle out of it.

Hand up, here. First time growing peppers (or anything for that matter). Have the seed starting kit on the heat mat, fan blowing and grow light on 14-16 hours/day. Checking them multiple times/day. 49 out of 72 germinated so far and only 14 days post sew date. Have actually dragged kids and wife downstairs to see them. Traveled for work last week and left very detailed instructions for wife and son like you would a babysitter. Wife is already criticisizing me for paying more attention to the seedlings than I do my own kids.

Pepper Geek in Training

Back