• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe Fermentation devastation!! Warning!! Grafic!!

And by fresh I mean unfermented. Sometimes I will smoke these peppers or roast them until they're charred. Sometimes they do go in fresh without cooking only processed through the sauce.

Maybe the chiles were treated with salt. I dont know, but the taste was like the dead sea.
You tasted them after they rehydrated in the salty liquid! That's like tasting a sponge you put in the brine and saying someone sold you salty sponges.

Putting dried peppers in is fine. Tasting them and expecting them not to be salty was the problem, so you blamed it on this pepper. The ferment would probably have been fine either after a) being blended into sauce or b) allowing more time for balance/osmosis to occur.

I personally dont like a heavy ferment flavor. I have done some sauces with half ferment and half fresh with all the same ingredients, with excellent results.

Play around and have fun!
SL

You can always ditch the brine and just blend the peppers with a new liquid, for sauce. Add whatever you like. Make a pineapple hot sauce, etc. That doesn't mean the pineapple had to be fermented. The ferment is just an ingredient. Certainly no need to ditch that entire ferment! Make sauce!

Back