• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Fermentation good or bad? How to tell?

Ground up some peppers last year (or year before). Mostly if not all jalapenos. Honestly don't remember what I put in the mix. It's been in a year for at least a year or longer. Maybe two years. The jar has just kinda become a fixture in the corner on the counter top...lol...anyways, I'm getting ready to try another shorter fermentation of some jalapenos, habs, and ghost peppers so I can make a super hot sriracha style sauce. I figured I'd check to see how I might tell if the stuff in the jar is ok. I popped the lid and there's no mold and it doesn't smell bad. Should I just boil it down and give it a taste?

Absolutly!  There's a great fermentaion thread in the Hot sauce making section if you haven't already been there.

Good luck!     Check the ph though.  Should be below 4.0 to be safe.  Add lemon juice if not.
Mike

Duh! that where you were basically!

I'll try to check the pH. I don't have strips but I do have a liquid kit. I guess that will work? If I can get enough juice to test I suppose. Anyways, I read the thread, well, skimmed over it. I didn't really see how you can tell if it was a successful fermentation. I assume that if it isn't bad (moldy and nasty) then it's good? I'll check the pH first and then cook it down and see what happens....(famous last words right)

Back