• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fertiliser - which one to use when

I wonder if anybody could give me any pointers on fertiliser please??

What types to use and when??

I understood I would need to use a Tomato type feed for the flowering plants. So I bought a Tomato feed 2-2-4 (or 2-0.87-3.3 depending how you read the label).

I do have many small plants too - they are mostly around 1" tall, with just one or two pairs of leaves (started off Feb\Mar).

Thanks for your help,
Simon.

yea that fert should work good there are many other alternatives just basacilly personal prefrence on what you want

To explain fertilizer:

Nitrogen (N) contributes to the vegetative growth of the pepper plant. It is important that the plant, when reaching the flowering stage, will be well developed vegetatively; or it will have a low yielding potential. Pepper plants were found to positively respond (by increasing number of flowers and fruits) to higher nitrogen concentrations than the usual norms for other crops.

Phosphorus (P) is essential for the normal development of the roots and reproductive organs (flowers, fruit, seeds). Highly available phosphorous is needed for the establishment of the transplant. Phosphorus shortage in the soil will result in development of too small and short branches, many undeveloped buds and less fruit in general. Adequate phosphorus enhances early fruit ripening.

Potassium (K) - adequate levels enhance the accumulation of carbohydrates and the resistance to low temperatures and diseases. See figure 2.
Potassium deficiency slows down the growth rate of pepper plants. Potassium deficiency symptoms are: brown spots at the edges of the leaves and fruits, and sometimes there is curling and drying of the leaves. Severe potassium deficiency will retard the transportation of sugars within the plant, leading to starch accumulation in the lower leaves.

Now the question is which one to get??? Hard to say. I'm using some store bought compost tea and fish fertilizer this year. I mix it up every year until i can find the happy medium for my peppers.

Hope this helps.

I am fairly new here - so dont take my word as gospel ...

If the plants are still so small, you would want to go really LOW on ferts (if you need to fert at all).

I understand that you start out with fert higher in N (to get vegitative growth = strong plant) ... and then when it flowers you move over to ferts higher in P and K

but again, I would not push a 1" tall seedling ... maybe a teaspoon of vermicompost on top to cover your bases, but not much more for a couple of weeks ... once you pot up to a 1 liter pot or so, then I would start adding small doses ...

again, I am no pepper guru :rolleyes:

cheers
al

To explain fertilizer:

Nitrogen (N) contributes to the vegetative growth of the pepper plant. It is important that the plant, when reaching the flowering stage, will be well developed vegetatively; or it will have a low yielding potential. Pepper plants were found to positively respond (by increasing number of flowers and fruits) to higher nitrogen concentrations than the usual norms for other crops.

Phosphorus (P) is essential for the normal development of the roots and reproductive organs (flowers, fruit, seeds). Highly available phosphorous is needed for the establishment of the transplant. Phosphorus shortage in the soil will result in development of too small and short branches, many undeveloped buds and less fruit in general. Adequate phosphorus enhances early fruit ripening.

Potassium (K) - adequate levels enhance the accumulation of carbohydrates and the resistance to low temperatures and diseases. See figure 2.
Potassium deficiency slows down the growth rate of pepper plants. Potassium deficiency symptoms are: brown spots at the edges of the leaves and fruits, and sometimes there is curling and drying of the leaves. Severe potassium deficiency will retard the transportation of sugars within the plant, leading to starch accumulation in the lower leaves.

Now the question is which one to get??? Hard to say. I'm using some store bought compost tea and fish fertilizer this year. I mix it up every year until i can find the happy medium for my peppers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! It's good to know what the NPK are actually for.

Am I right to use a fertiliser for the seedlings onwards?

I used Dynagrow bloom from start to finish. I've heard Bills Perfect Fertilzer is supposed to be really good too. Basically anything that is low in N and higher P, K is good. You can use other goodies like worm tea, liquid seaweed, and cal-mag from time to time or as needed too

Great, thanks!
At least two sets of true leaves and feed 1/8 strength or so for the first two feedings.

I used Dynagrow bloom from start to finish. I've heard Bills Perfect Fertilzer is supposed to be really good too. Basically anything that is low in N and higher P, K is good. You can use other goodies like worm tea, liquid seaweed, and cal-mag from time to time or as needed too

At least two sets of true leaves and feed 1/8 strength or so for the first two feedings.

I see the Dyna-Gro Orchid fertiliser is 3-12-6.

Is this good, or am I barking up the wrong tree? I noticed they do a general one too.

Thats fine too. But you will need to switch to the dynagrow bloom when the plant starts budding. That is why I just used the bloom from start to finish, that way I didnt have to bother switching.

Ah, I lied.... What I thought was the Orchid 3-12-6, was actually the Bloom 3-12-6.

I guess I got confused as there are a number of products listed.......

So actually, I'd be better getting the Bloom, and doing as you do.

Ah, I lied.... What I thought was the Orchid 3-12-6, was actually the Bloom 3-12-6.

I guess I got confused as there are a number of products listed.......

So actually, I'd be better getting the Bloom, and doing as you do.

Ya, I was like theres an Orchid too? Lol. No worries. You dont have to use the same thing I used ( Dynagrow bloom) unless you want to give it a whirl. I had good results with it.

Ya, I was like theres an Orchid too? Lol. No worries. You dont have to use the same thing I used ( Dynagrow bloom) unless you want to give it a whirl. I had good results with it.

I might as well try it..... I have no better ideas myself.

All I have already is the Tomato one I mentioned above.

Simon, as if this isn't tough enough, then think about nutrient lockout. That just throws a curveball into all of it lol.

Thanks for all the advice.

I think I will start feeding when the seedlings have established, and continue.

It seems the Dyna-Gro isn't so easy to find where I live, so I will look for an alternative........

Back