• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Fertilize Seedlings?

Hey all.

Quick question. I have some seedlings that seemed to have stopped growing. No new leaves and they haven't grown any taller. They just have their secondary leaves and starter leaves, that's it. They have been this way for easily three weeks. I have them under T8's 6500k 32W running 16 hours a day. The light is only a couple to a few inches above them. They are planted in a potting mix from Navlet's and a little steer manure on top. Are they lacking nitrogen? Should I be throwing a fertilizer high in nitrogen on them?

Thanks!

For reference, it's all three in the front row (#4, #2, #2)
#4 - Devil's Tongue
#2 - Jamaican Hot Chocolate

6f98924b.jpg

if they have not had anything to eat since they have been planted and it's been three weeks, give them babies a bottle...they are hungry...

a plant will only grow from seed in a "sterile" soil until the nutrients in the cotlyledons are used up..then the photosynthesis process can take over manufacture of sugars for the plant growth...IMO, plants need nutrients from the time they stick their heads out of the soil until death...but with young plants/seedlings, take it easy..

I don't know what kind of fertilize you use but if you use a liquid, start with 1/2 or 1/4 strength recommended dilution then move on to stronger solutions of fertilize as time passes by...

I use a weak fertilizer at sight of first true leaves something that wont burn for sure but something that is giving them a lil boost I use something like 6-3-3 for seedlings in small quantities and i also put a small amount of Root hormone just so the roots will have a jump start

if they have not had anything to eat since they have been planted and it's been three weeks, give them babies a bottle...they are hungry...

a plant will only grow from seed in a "sterile" soil until the nutrients in the cotlyledons are used up..then the photosynthesis process can take over manufacture of sugars for the plant growth...IMO, plants need nutrients from the time they stick their heads out of the soil until death...but with young plants/seedlings, take it easy..

I don't know what kind of fertilize you use but if you use a liquid, start with 1/2 or 1/4 strength recommended dilution then move on to stronger solutions of fertilize as time passes by...

That makes sense. I think most of my seedlings are beginning to stall. I only have some of the non-liquid type. It was for increasing the production of peppers mainly. So, it's really low on nitrogen. I do have some Miracle Grow Tomato powder. I believe it has to be added to water. I think it has a higher nitrogen level. I believe this is it http://tinyurl.com/73a6ge4

I'm guessing this is the reason most of them aren't too green either. Because they are all in a tray, if using the non-liquid fertilizer, how much would you add to the tops?

you have chlorine in your water?

I'm sure there is. It isn't to the extent of where you can smell it. But, I know tap water does contain chlorine.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

I use a weak fertilizer at sight of first true leaves something that wont burn for sure but something that is giving them a lil boost I use something like 6-3-3 for seedlings in small quantities and i also put a small amount of Root hormone just so the roots will have a jump start

Thanks Orozconleche. We only have Home Depot, Lowes, Navlet's, and Orchard Garden Supply around here.

[question for anyone]Do you get your fertilizer from any of those?

the problem with Chlorine, is that the Chlorine kills all the bacteria that your plants need. If you have an air stone, put water in a bucket, and run the air stone in there for a couple of hours. If not, just put your water in a bucket and let it sit for a day or so before you water with it.

Well the Stuff I got From a Small Store that sales brand Products the only reason i got all sorts of fertilizers root hormones and many others is because the store was going under so they sold everything with a 60% off lucky me, but if you can get your hands in any of that stuff you will find it rewarding a good fertilizer after reviewing is "Fish and Poop" (organic fertilizer) pretty strong maybe not for seedlings but great for anything else, hope it helps

MG tomato food will work just fine

Excellent! AlabamaJack. How often should I fertilize them? I'm not good at the calculations on those things either. I'm guessing I should just mix a gallon or so of water with the mix, and then just bottom water them with it?

Will do on the chlorine water.

the problem with Chlorine, is that the Chlorine kills all the bacteria that your plants need. If you have an air stone, put water in a bucket, and run the air stone in there for a couple of hours. If not, just put your water in a bucket and let it sit for a day or so before you water with it.

+1

Excellent! AlabamaJack. How often should I fertilize them? I'm not good at the calculations on those things either. I'm guessing I should just mix a gallon or so of water with the mix, and then just bottom water them with it?

use 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water to start with if you are using MG Tomato Food (18-18-21)

I use botanicare products so you really need to follow the instructions...ane yes, then bottom water...

I feed with the MG. Get yourself an empty 2L bottle, make sure it's been washed of soda and all the soap is out. Use one and a half of the small scoops (it comes with a double sided measuring scoop) to the 2L bottle. That is half strength. I feed mine that for one month, then I up it to 3 small scoops (full strength)

Not saying that it doesn't matter but.....I've never let the water sit. It's luke warm straight from the tap, mixed with the MG, then bottom feed away! Never burned a plant using those mix values either.

use 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water to start with if you are using MG Tomato Food (18-18-21)

I use botanicare products so you really need to follow the instructions...ane yes, then bottom water...

+1 I am using Botanicare too! What products do you use?

I feed with the MG. Get yourself an empty 2L bottle, make sure it's been washed of soda and all the soap is out. Use one and a half of the small scoops (it comes with a double sided measuring scoop) to the 2L bottle. That is half strength. I feed mine that for one month, then I up it to 3 small scoops (full strength)

Not saying that it doesn't matter but.....I've never let the water sit. It's luke warm straight from the tap, mixed with the MG, then bottom feed away! Never burned a plant using those mix values either.

Thank you very much, appreciate the instructions. :) So, you are just giving that to them every four weeks?

I grow at least 250 each year at my house HD but I usually start between 2 and 4K seeds....

I grow at least 250 each year at my house HD but I usually start between 2 and 4K seeds....

o.O, wow. What do you do with all of those peppers? Possibly a bomb shelter full of nutritious pickled and dried peppers? :P

On a side note. I just want to double-check. Do you think fertilizer is my problem with the stunted growth? I think everything else is fine (i.e., lights, soil, etc.)

Back