• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Fertilizer Question

Hey guys - I tried to search for this before I asked it, but I didn't find anything. I would have bet dimes to dollars someone asked this before.

Here's the sum up:

I planted my peppers in non-fertilized potting soil (the soil was 0.10 - 0.05 - 0.05). I bought seaweed stuff, but haven't used it yet. I was planning on using it for potting up.

I bought some organic fertilizer today that is 5-3-3. Everyone says to dilute fertilizer to 1/3 or 1/2 strength. Now my question is this:

If I had bought 15-15-15 and diluted it to 1/3 strength, would I be holding 5-5-5? Or it doesn't work like that? Simply, do I need to dilute 5-3-3, or is it moderate enough for peppers?

I'd like to fertilize - in between the damping off and now the aphids, I'd like to give them a little boost.

Thanks guys!

You've already got some fertilizer in the potting soil, so don't get carried away and burn your plants. I know it's not easy to be patient, that you want to boost them to the size of AJ's monsters, but proceeding slowly is generally the best idea.

Pam said:
You've already got some fertilizer in the potting soil, so don't get carried away and burn your plants. I know it's not easy to be patient, that you want to boost them to the size of AJ's monsters, but proceeding slowly is generally the best idea.

I wasn't sure if the 0.10 - 0.05 - 0.05 was doing anything at all. Those numbers are pretty low.

when they're babies they're super sensitive and don't actually need it since the cotyledons provide the seedling with all they require at first. also, a bunch of yours haven't germinated yet, correct? too much nitrogen inhibits germination.

GrumpyBear said:
when they're babies they're super sensitive and don't actually need it since the cotyledons provide the seedling with all they require at first. also, a bunch of yours haven't germinated yet, correct? too much nitrogen inhibits germination.

*nod* ok!

Back