• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

field of wheat and chili?

I live on a "farm" we dont use the field at all we own we rent them all out. But i am thinking of try to take maybe 20x20m or 50x50 or even 100x100m next year just to test and see how chili's would grow.
If they grow good, maybe i will try 1000x1000m or even bigger!

My question is this i live in Sweden and plant out time is around middle of may and 1okt is the end date.

My first idea was to go for C.Annum but after some thinking maybe C.Pub are better suited,or are them to slow? Of curse i will use lamp before i put them out.

The temps we have is around 6-15c at nights and 13-29c daytime. Am not intressted in building some huge greenhouses just now it have to wait a few years. I just wanna plant them stright into the dirt :)

The dirty itself is clay pretty hard. And Potato,beens,wheat etc just love it. But will chili like it? Or will it be to hard for the chili?

I just came up with the idea today so haven't really tough about what PH etc there is in the dirt. And am thinking on putting down one Hungarian wax plant there today as well to check. But i would like to have some comments and inputs, and maybe advices ;) Like what var that would be best suited. And maybe tips on how to get rid of bugs and if i should top the plants so they get more bushy etc.

I've grown peppers here in the red clay of Virginia. As long as the soil is well tilled, they should do fine. My best results came from adding some garden lime. Your temps aren't great, but they'll grow. Early starts indoors will help.

That's awesome I say definitely go for it! The clay soil might not be the best for chiles, you just need to make sure it is well drained, and well, clay is the worst for that. You could probably just mix in some sand to help. Either way I'm sure they will grow fine no matter what, just maybe not optimally.

Optimal is not a issue, its just that why not use the space i got here. Its not that much of a work to get up like 100-200 plats from seed under some lamps for 3 months before planting out. So if they dont grow optimal its fine, as long as i get 1-5 chilis per plant i wuld be pretty happy.
Any tips on which vars i shold go for? C.Annum? Some Hungarian hot wax, Aji cristals,Jalapenos wuld be a killer if they grew good. I will try plant one half decent hungarian hot wax later this week. I will keep you guys updated!

Not to sacrifice ;o Why i pick hungarian hot wax is cuse i got like 5 more of them. So if it dies its "ok".

Back