• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Final germination ??

One last question before I start, I've been reading some glogs. When germinating seeds they need no light til they hook right? I see some put lights on right away and others don't . If I choose not to use lights .. once they hook they need to go under lights right? , but then does the dome come off? I'm not sure if I should germinate them in one tray then move em into a empty tray once they hook since I'm using plugs ( this presents some space problems ) or if once I see some hooks pull the dome and put the whole tray under the light? What do you guts suggest?

Light is not needed for germination. I germinate in a tray of soil and in the dark and let them get around 2 inches tall then move to my cells. The cells are 6 to a pack and when I transplant I want the roots to be down low for the bottom watering. I will be posting more pics probably tomorrow when I move more over. 2 inches becomes 1/4 inches once I put them in their cell.

But yeah they need light at some point after they hook or they will just keep climbing looking for it. I have some that have hit the lid looking.

Just trying to work out the wrinkles with the set up my wife put together. She fashioned a rack to hang my HO T5's and a table to sit beneath it that is perfect for the 4 trays and heat mats I have. I could make another shelf under the table and germinated them there in trays then move them up to to empty cells under the light once they hook? Do they still need heat mats then and how far away toI put the HO T5's on the little hooks?Sorry my head is swimming with these last details lol !!

I place them into grow plugs soon after they hook and continue to use the dooms until I transplant the little fellas in 3.5" x 3.5" pots.

Light is not needed for germination. I germinate in a tray of soil and in the dark and let them get around 2 inches tall then move to my cells. The cells are 6 to a pack and when I transplant I want the roots to be down low for the bottom watering. I will be posting more pics probably tomorrow when I move more over. 2 inches becomes 1/4 inches once I put them in their cell.

But yeah they need light at some point after they hook or they will just keep climbing looking for it. I have some that have hit the lid looking.

If I let then stay without light until they are two inches won't they get leggy. Oh I see when you move them you bury them a little deeper? Yet mine will be in plugs. So I thought about letting them sprout then moving the whole plug up into a empty tray to get a couple sets of leaves . What if I just put the whole tray under the light right from the start only moved far away ?

I place them into grow plugs soon after they hook and continue to use the dooms until I transplant the little fellas in 3.5" x 3.5" pots.

I'm not sure I understand? Mine will start in plugs. and if you leave the dome on don't they get leggy?

yeah that is what I do but using plugs you will want to move them when they hook. I make them leggy in the dark because most will be buried. I like to avoid potting up by doing it the way I do.

yeah that is what I do but using plugs you will want to move them when they hook. I make them leggy in the dark because most will be buried. I like to avoid potting up by doing it the way I do.

So if you were me would you just place some and all under the light several feet away on mats and as soon as several hooks got going remove the dome altogether? Or germinate them in domes underneath the light table and move them up into a empty waiting tray same size under the lights placed a little closer? Oh and thanks again for the seeds. I am stoked about the Fatali Red Savina cross

I'm not sure I understand? Mine will start in plugs. and if you leave the dome on don't they get leggy?

I transplant them as soon as I see the roots growing out from the bottom of the RR grow plugs.

DSC02056.jpg

Check out my profile and you will see my setup.

I transplant them as soon as I see the roots growing out from the bottom of the RR grow plugs.

DSC02056.jpg

Check out my profile and you will see my setup.

I want to transplant as little as possible.So do you leave em in the dome and under a light, and mat?
Or do you take off the dome when they sprout.How many leaves would you save you have when you transplant? I will be checking out many grow logs b4 next wk lol

Spanky, Let SuperHot and others be your guide as I do it differently so I would not be of as much help at this point. Either way though I am sure you will come out with mass of knowledge for when you start next year. :D

This is my first season using a 'mini greenhouse,' and I think I can help at least a little. I would move them under the light as soon as they sprout. I have to give credit to muskymojo for this, but a good idea is to cut out the individual cells when they sprout and move them to another tray under the light. This way the cells that haven't sprouted stay warm and moist.

I have a HO T5 system as well, and I made a crucial mistake (IMO) when I first applied the light. As soon as I had a sprout, I took the dome off and put the T5 on the tray. Well, the soil temperature seemed to get out of hand, and I ultimately ended up replanting everything--however I don't think it killed any of the seeds, but it did heat the soil up quite a bit. I think it's important to use a fan once something is under the light--something I overlooked initially. Just be careful that your plants are moist enough to handle the T5 and use a fan.

I would also advise that you bottom water.

Lotsa lotsa variables. Everybody gets to work through them. One variable is you got your domed stadium people and you got your outdoor stadium people. I move sprouts out of the dome immediately as they emerge. They go under the lights, get some fan time, and lose the bottom heat. Check air temp at sprout level to make sure lights aren't too hot (80-ish). T8s are pretty forgiving--ease into it with those T5s.

It's just how I do it right now. Maybe I'll try an experiment next time keeping plants longer under the dome. Its fun to hear other ideas and keep an open mind.

Just out of curiousity, what steps did you use on your test plants that did so well? Or is yours just a logistical problem of not having enough space for germination and initial transplant?

Spanky, Let SuperHot and others be your guide as I do it differently so I would not be of as much help at this point. Either way though I am sure you will come out with mass of knowledge for when you start next year. :D
Lotsa lotsa variables. Everybody gets to work through them. One variable is you got your domed stadium people and you got your outdoor stadium people. I move sprouts out of the dome immediately as they emerge. They go under the lights, get some fan time, and lose the bottom heat. Check air temp at sprout level to make sure lights aren't too hot (80-ish). T8s are pretty forgiving--ease into it with those T5s.

It's just how I do it right now. Maybe I'll try an experiment next time keeping plants longer under the dome. Its fun to hear other ideas and keep an open mind.

Just out of curiousity, what steps did you use on your test plants that did so well? Or is yours just a logistical problem of not having enough space for germination and initial transplant?

+1

Success comes in many ways!!

I move them out based on root development rather than leaf #s.

It is a space thing in some ways. On the test stuff I kept everything under dome and moved the out as soon as they planted and under light. But that was only a few. It was also messy trying to dig tender little sprouts out of trays in dirt ( I'm using plugs this time for that reason alone). I also transplanted them as sprouts into 4 inch pots , think this too was a mistake. It took up room that wasn't needed and they lacked the roots to thrive. Right now in spite of the room issues I'm thinking of buying more trays and moving them up under the light once they hook. That way hooks stay domed and on the heat and hooks get the light. It seems to me a little chaotic this way different sizes and maturity but it seems the wisest. I'd like to just go start to finish under the lights but it just doesn't seem the best way

+1

Success comes in many ways!!

I move them out based on root development rather than leaf #s.

Do you use plugs to see the roots? Do you keep em domed til you get the roots you desire it do doesn't this make em leggy?

If these few plants are causing a space issue, where will you set up the "big grow" you have been preparing for. Part of success is preplanning for the logistics of a product.

If these few plants are causing a space issue, where will you set up the "big grow" you have been preparing for. Part of success is preplanning for the logistics of a product.

Yes guess I sound unprepared lol . I have a partner and we are setting up his garage as a grow room and erecting a green house in his back yard both projects are in the works my small place is the germination station. These plants will go to his place once germination starts next weekend!

Do you use plugs to see the roots? Do you keep em domed til you get the roots you desire it do doesn't this make em leggy?

I haven't had that problem last season and found them to grow faster this way. They stay on the heat mat during the time under the doom and dry quickly if you're not on your toes. I quench each RR grow plug seedling in warm water almost nightly. This process allows me to monitor root development and if there is enough they'll be moved to the 3.5" x 3.5" pots.

My goal is simple…to grow monster pods!!

Ask Matt!!

I quench each RR grow plug seedling in warm water almost nightly. This process allows me to monitor root development and if there is enough they'll be moved to the 3.5" x 3.5" pots.

My goal is simple…to grow monster pods!!

Ask Matt!!

What do you mean quench ? Do you pour water onto or take the RR's out to inspect and dunk?
I know it's a stupor question lol... Also do you use any type of nutes at this stage even diluted?

What do you mean quench ? Do you pour water onto or take the RR's out to inspect and dunk?
I know it's a stupor question lol... Also do you use any type of nutes at this stage even diluted?

Inspect and dunk for the first one. I don’t use any ferts until they go into the 3.5 x 3.5 pots. All they need is heat, light and warm water prior to the pots. After they get moved to the pots I’ll begin my biweekly fert regiment.

Inspect and dunk for the first one. I don’t use any ferts until they go into the 3.5 x 3.5 pots. All they need is heat, light and warm water prior to the pots. After they get moved to the pots I’ll begin my biweekly fert regiment.

Can you share your fert schelude?

Back