• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Finally got my smoker fired up

Im smoking a bunch of japs this weekend with mesquite and possibly some hickory so far so good
Hey POTAWIE thx for the advice it seems I had the flute open and would explain the temps
Heres a few pics so far..Man the whole yard smells awsome mind you the neighbors laundry that was hanging out side might smell a bit like mesquite lol

Picture001-8.jpg

Picture002-13.jpg

When you smoke them like that does it matter which side is up? Do you turn them half way through? I see your heat is offset too. Looks like you've got a very good thing going there.

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for the post.

I cut my japs in half for a faster drying time.I use wire screening on top of the grill to save anything falling through and I finish off in the oven.Thx for the advice POTAWIE lol

Looking good eh! How do they taste?
You might want to try some lump charcoal in the future, its better than the briquettes but a little tricky due to the inconsistant sizes

The wire screening I picked up at the local hardware store its just metal screen mesh..And POTAWIE I havnt had time to taste yet but they smell heavenly

I smoke quite a bit of meat(pork butts) during the summer, using oak, hickory and sometime maple and apple. I have yet to try smoking some peps ....but I may just give it a shot here shortly. I use a lot of the lump coals....costs a bit more....but the heat stays there longer, and tastes better than the briquettes.

I plan to grow some more peps next season just for the purpose of smoking...so share your secrets...if you will.

I will be growing 3 varieties of jalapenos and some serrano's as well.

Peace to all ya'all:mouthonfire:

this is my 1st year smoking chiles. so far just hab's & lemon drops.
I used 100% hickory wood chunks (which were big) & added maple chips when needed.
all I can say is, once you bring those chiles inside to dry in the dehydrator :shocked: fills basically the whole house with that smoked smell.

Back