• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Finally little manzano peppers

This poor red manzano suffered through out hot summer. It survived only
because I put it under a frosted glass table on the deck. It has small peppers
on it now. What is the coldest temperature it can survive? I will be
overwintering it.

I just got pods on my orange and red but not the yellow. I too will try to overwinter them. I struggled finding a place they liked as well. Started with 6 and let 3 go. I think they like the cooler weather we are having but not sure how cold they will tolerate. I'm happy to get a couple of pods this year. One month or so left in my season I hope. Good luck with yours.

Mike

Sorry to barge in guys, but do the red manzanos go straight from green to red, or hit orange in between? Trying to figure out which color I have on my hands here...

lol. Mine froze, too. But not before bearing fruit. I cut about five of them and I have a single orange dude right now. Just cut and ate it and was very impressed. Not sure if I ate it unripe or not. Trying to figure it out.

The other four bigger ones are still green and not turning yet in their brown paper bag. We'll see...

My Manzanos went directly from green to red. Great plant to over winter and will survive easily if you don't give them too much water. They like cooler temps anyway. Here are a couple of pics of an over wintered plant and a Christmas harvest pod.

manzanored2112108.jpg

The Manzano is next to the keys -also some Chocolate & Gold Bullet Habs, Burkina SB's and Hawaii Sweet Hots. Manzanos are nice to cook with, but watch out for the secondary burn when you eat them fresh. Excellent when added to cooking chili or spaghetti sauce.

xmasharvest122508.jpg

Thanks, bigt!

I figured that was the case. I ate my 'red' manzano when it went orange for that very reason. Tasted good to me. I love the burn. It's a back of the throat burn for me, vs. a tongue burn with most of the habs for me.

Nice juicy fruit, though, and some seriously thick walls. Very cool. Growing more this year...

Back