• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Finally, my first ripe Morgua(?)

So I grew some "moruga scorpion" seeds from amazon, and they're finally starting to ripen.  Now that they're ripening, and I have 30+ full grown, but still green pods, I'm starting to wonder what seeds I actually got.  There are about 3 different pod shapes on my plants, some look like moruga scorpions, a couple look like Bhuts, and others have another shape. I realize that most amazon/ebay seeds are a crapshoot, but I think i got lucky by getting seeds that appear to be some sort of superhot.   
IMG_2216_zpsdmcffnsx.jpg

Nice. You might also try buying peppers here and using the seeds for the next year... that way, you'll have first hand knowledge of what you're growing... takes the crap outta the shoot!!  :dance:

I think it has the characteristics of a moruga.  It doesn't look like many, you're right, but if you start looking at more pictures here and on google you will see that the phenotypes vary a lot.  It could be a hybrid I guess, but these look good to me for the most part.  

I got my morgua seeds from the chile pepper institute, because I live in the same town as it.  Many great sources are on the forum.
Here's a picture of one of my first green pods (some water drops on it): 

Suezotiger said:
Looks closer to a brain strain imo
Good point!  At least it seems to be a superhot pepper of sometype that you should be proud to grow and will burn like hell!

Picked it and cut it open today.  Insides were literally dripping with oil.  By far the hottest pepper I have ever tasted, confirmed my suspicion that my buddy's "reapers" from last year weren't reapers, but some kind of red habanero.  
IMG_2218_zpslkrwiwxs.jpg

This was my first year growing, and my Amazon seeds were a way to use up the last $4 on a gift card, so I have to admit that I'm thoroughly impressed, especially considering the horror stories I've read about ebay/amazon seeds.  Next year I'm going to grow from seeds from the plants I have now, and get some new varieties from people/vendors on here.  This place has been a great resource for a first time pepper grower! 

1tom2go said:
I think it has the characteristics of a moruga.  It doesn't look like many, you're right, but if you start looking at more pictures here and on google you will see that the phenotypes vary a lot.  It could be a hybrid I guess, but these look good to me for the most part.  

I got my morgua seeds from the chile pepper institute, because I live in the same town as it.  Many great sources are on the forum.
Here's a picture of one of my first green pods (some water drops on it): 

I have some pods that look like that, as well as some that look like most of the images on here and google, but some of the more recent pods that my two plants have set are more elongated and Bhut-like.

I'll take some pictures  of the three pod shapes i've got on my two container plants tomorrow.

Back