• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First C. Red!

After months of waiting, mouth watering every time I read about how much people on this site like them, I finally got to pick one today.

CRed.jpg

The plant was planted out the first week of June and this little bugger appeared by late June. And I waited, and waited, and waited some more.

Brought it inside and cut it in half. Ate the first half and was surprised. The flavor was light and fruity, not heavy like O habs. It was a little tangy at first, and then like a light switch it hit. Back of tongue, roof of mouth, throat, teeth, even my inner ears tingled. Before it was too unbearable, it felt like my mouth went numb. I survived! And the after-taste was very much like the original flavor, not bitter like my O habs. I think this is the start of something beautiful.

And to top it off, the bugs in the neighborhood are getting a little worried.

IMG_3308copy.jpg

A little overspray would do wonders.

Congrats, it's a nice one too! If you let them ripen to a dark red, either on the vine or off and under lights, the flavor gets much more potent.

Back