• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning First cloning attempt

I am taking a stab at trying to clone a chocolate hab in this cloner I made
cloner1.jpg

Right now I am running 5 ml of GH Rapid Root in 2 gallons of water approx 400-500ppm. I am running a 18/4 light cycle as well.

I was wondering the approximate length of time it takes to start forming roots on hot peppers?

If I may ask, where did you get that setup? Was it something you bought or did you make it yourself?

you should see roots in 7-14 days. are youmisting the leaves occasionally?
No, should I? How often?

If I may ask, where did you get that setup? Was it something you bought or did you make it yourself?
I made it myself. It is a 3 gallon Rubbermaid tote from home depot. It has 2 8" air stones inside that are always on. I wanted something small and could not justify spending the $$ on the cloners at hydro stores.

have you tried a little azos? works well.
http://www.xtreme-ga...zos#description

Never heard of it...I am assuming it is a rooting hormone? How does it compare to GH Rapid Start?

What is the right way to scrape the cutting prior to placing it in the cloner? I scraped all the way around the bottom of the cutting and up about 1/2" inch.

Also..how to I keep the slime that starts to develop out of the cloner?

No, should I? How often?

I made it myself. It is a 3 gallon Rubbermaid tote from home depot. It has 2 8" air stones inside that are always on. I wanted something small and could not justify spending the $$ on the cloners at hydro stores.

What is the right way to scrape the cutting prior to placing it in the cloner? I scraped all the way around the bottom of the cutting and up about 1/2" inch.

Regarding the misting, the leaves should be misted daily. That is their main source of water uptake until the roots form.

There are other ways to clone, as well. I used Rapid Rooters and CloneX rooting hormone. Worked great. I'm sure yours will do just fine, as well, but it seems like a bit more work.

I didn't scrape the cutting, at all. Just cut the stem at a 45 degree angle, apply CloneX, and pop into the Rapid Rooter. For yours, cut at a 45 degree angle and put into your cutting holder. But make sure that you make the cut immediately before putting the cutting into the cloner. The more exposure to air the freshly cut stem has, the less likely your cutting will take.

I'd like to build a cloner like that at some point, but so far I've had luck just cutting the plant, dipping in rooting hormone, and sticking it in Seed Starter mix. A setup like yours might take a little of the gamble out of it.

By cloning from a mature plant, will that allow the pepper to go ahead and fruit. Not needing time "actually mature"?

Speed up fruiting time for a chinense?

By cloning from a mature plant, will that allow the pepper to go ahead and fruit. Not needing time "actually mature"?

Speed up fruiting time for a chinense?

I cloned a SB TFM plant and Goat's Weed plant from branches that broke off or were cut off (cut worms) and found no delay to bloom. A clone from a mature branch produced a mature plant.

Keep all light out of reservoir, change nutes weekly and if you still have problems, add a teaspoon of H2O2 to the res a couple days aft you do a nute change.

OK, thanks for the info :)

Back