• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds First germination try...what do you think about this

I'm trying to keep my costs down and ran across this. What do you think about this for germinating seeds? I've only grown from plants so far but I've got some seeds coming. I've read about other methods but this way seems to be a little more "idiot" proof than others. And I need that lol. If someone has another idea that isn't too expensive, let me know please. Maybe next year I'll step it up a little more.

Ooops...guess it would help if I included the link huh :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/HYDROFARM-GERMINATION-STATION-HEATED-SEED-STARTING_W0QQitemZ370328074733QQcategoryZ43556QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D20%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7723501325663308146

Ooops I mean to actually put this in "grow tech" because I assumed that is where it belonged. I wasn't paying attention which forum I was in. If it needs moved I apologize.

I have the gardener's delight hotbed greenhouse, very similar to what you are looking.

It's better than nothing, gives you the heat mat(which does not have a thermostat so you never really know what temperature you are at. I put a thermometer in the unit but that to is questionable; first time I tried the baggie and paper towel technique it germinated a couple of seeds and cooked a few others. I then put cardboard spacers between the heat pad and the main plastic container to adjust the surface temperature of the plastic. I have even had to put a cardboard spacer between the plastic container and the seeding vessel.

Overall it really didn't improve my germination rate but once you get the desireed temperature, what it gives you is earlier germination.

Add a cheap thermostat and some seed starting mix and you'll be set.

If you have an area that stays between 80F to 85F (atop water heater, fridge, light, etc...), that and a covered propagation chamber to maintain humidity is all you really need.

Guess it depends on how often you'll use it and what time of season. You can get a 72 seed tray and dome at home depot or lowes for under 10 bucks, but not heated. Doesnt seem like any of those trays are very durable, though. But even if you bought one for 20 bucks plus shipping and it lasted you two seasons, its a minimal expense.

Guess it depends on how often you'll use it and what time of season. You can get a 72 seed tray and dome at home depot or lowes for under 10 bucks, but not heated. Doesnt seem like any of those trays are very durable, though. But even if you bought one for 20 bucks plus shipping and it lasted you two seasons, its a minimal expense.

Well I was thinking I may not need a heating mat this time of the season with temps in the 90s. But it may come in handy when I want to start early next year.

Well I was thinking I may not need a heating mat this time of the season with temps in the 90s. But it may come in handy when I want to start early next year.

I use dome covered seed trays with a heat mat and thermostat. Requires much less attention and covered seed trays can be found online for around $3.

I use dome covered seed trays with a heat mat and thermostat. Requires much less attention and covered seed trays can be found online for around $3.

Have any links to good, reputable places to order? I figured I would ask before just typing in "covered seed trays".

I only have one way. and it's been working for me so far. but then again, i live in a tropical environment. i stick it in my growth medium, water a tiny been everyday. then wait.

i tried doing the baggy method, never did anything for me.

I always use the baggy method and it works everytime...
Whatever method you use its all about a little patience and care.
Grab a beer and go watch some football, by the end of the world cup all your seeds will be beautiful tiny plants.

Bleash

That looks great. I used a heating pad and bought a plastic container from walmart. germinated seeds in the dirt at bottom of container. Probably spent about $20.00. If I could do it again...eh who knows..

That looks great. I used a heating pad and bought a plastic container from walmart. germinated seeds in the dirt at bottom of container. Probably spent about $20.00. If I could do it again...eh who knows..

Did you use plastic cups or jiffy pots inside the plastic container?

Did you use plastic cups or jiffy pots inside the plastic container?
Like franzb69 said. When I transplanted Plastic cups are what I used..Clean and easy to move around, and you can write on them with a markerif you want too. I cut holes in the bottom for drainage, put them back in the container, and I'll soon start watering the plants from the bottom up. Their not drinking enough now though...

My Jiffy heated greenhouse ran me around 40 bucks at Home Depot.
Had a thermometer in it and the temps were pretty rock solid at around 80 degrees or so in my basement, which stayed at a near constant 50 degrees in the winter when I was starting in it.

Have any links to good, reputable places to order? I figured I would ask before just typing in "covered seed trays".

CK64050 Germination Station with Heat Mat $29.29 including shipping.

If you don't want the heat mat this is a domed tray with a 72 cell insert for $5.05.
Greenhouse Kit 72-Cell

The domed tray kits can be had for a little less ($4.60 ea.) if you want to order the three individual components separately.

Of course they are cheaper still if you buy in quantity and want to start a huge grow like AJ. :)

Looks like a easy, care free way to germinate seeds to me. Price isn't bad either. I may have to snag a couple of these myself.

I usually use coco fiber in the little three ounce deli cups placed on an aluminum cookie sheet. I put a heating pad under the cookie sheet with a towel between them. Warms the coco fiber right up to 85-88F.

the same as Patrick also coco fiber for everything. Have one with heat and thermostat. used your link ordered one more thanks

I used these and got spectacular germination rates. I found the hydrofarm trays to be very flimsy as compared to the Jiffy brand. My only word of caution is to be wary of damp off with the covers. I lost some due to that because I really didn't know any better. Ah well, lessons learned by one's self are lessons more taken to heart. I highly recommend the heat mats. My seedlings were up in very short order.

Back