• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor First Grow Tent Setup: Lights and Ventilation for 2x4

Sergeant Pepper said:
 I’m just trying to point out that for peppers you don’t need to go crazy with lights and you certainly don’t need filtration. If you have aspirations to grow grass in the future then those things will serve you well. I learned how to setup my grow tent etc mostly from the weed forums because those guys know a thing or two about indoor growing but then I downsized everything a bit to handle peppers and tomatoes.
I took your info as you sent it with good intentions. I don't think the medical marijuana license will be a player for at least 2-3 years as my sister is somewhat reluctant to apply for one. I also have learned a lot as you have from the cannabis forums. I buy things based on a future look of what I MIGHT be using it for. I don't mind spending a little more now than to buy it later and throw what I now bought away.

As of right now I am just planning to germinate and grow some peppers, tomatoes, collards, and other vegetables up to the time I can plant them in my garden.  

I am using a 480 watt quantum board from a company called Timber, in the ballpark of the HLG 550 but a bit weaker. 
They are insanely bright. These 400 to 500 watt quantum boards are nuts! You can start seeds by the dozens with those 400 and 500 watt quantum boards. 

Somebody here, Peter Stanley had a HLG 100, that was 95 watts of power. It made a plant in a deep water culture tote BLOW UP LIKE AN ATOM BOMB. Completely take over a 4X4 tent in like a month. 
That HLG 550 at 480 watts of power is going to be NUTS in a 2X4, that is so much freaking light for a 2X4. It is WAY OVERKILL.
Your plants will also blow up big time and totally take over a 2X4 before you know what hits you! 

These big papa quantum boards are like The Great White of lights. You should look into a 5X5 for sure.
This stuff is usually for cannabis, which can take far higher light intensities and needs to be 12 hours usually unless it is autoflower if somebody wants to flower out cannabis.
Peppers are not daylight sensitive, they can fruit in straight up 24/7 lighting, though usually people like to do 18 on/6 off or 20 on/4 off.
The Day Light Intervals you can throw at peppers is wild by running a quantum board 24/7. Easily 60+, which is like full bore sun outside.
A light that could do a 5X5 for cannabis could easily be enough for an even larger tent than that for peppers, not just for starting and vegetating, but for fruiting as well. 
Believe me, if you've never used any high intensity lighting or quantum boards before, the first time you power that bad boy on will blow your socks off.

"We're gonna need a bigger tent."

Edit: That lumatek bar light is indeed a beast, but the HLG 550 is already insane for peppers, you don't need to get a new light for a very large tent with that HLG 550 for like decades. 

Sergeant Pepper said:
First thank you for your service.

I have no issues with marijuana or growing it. I’m just trying to point out that for peppers you don’t need to go crazy with lights and you certainly don’t need filtration. If you have aspirations to grow grass in the future then those things will serve you well. I learned how to setup my grow tent etc mostly from the weed forums because those guys know a thing or two about indoor growing but then I downsized everything a bit to handle peppers and tomatoes.
No issues here as well. But from my experience you'll need some decent 300W lights like this for growing cannabis in a small 2x4 or 4x4 tent. Some guys also install CO2 regulators but I think that would be overkill even for indoor growing whether it's mj or hemp.

Back