• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pics First Harvest 2009 - 05-20-09

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
not a big harvest and actually more of a "pod pulling" to let the plants grow more...but I got almost 2 pounds of peppers this morning...

Cayennes, some serranos, a couple of 7 pots, some congo trinidads, mariachi hybrids, hungarian deaths, hungarian wax...

052009a001.jpg

If this is any indication of what kind of year it is going to be, it is going to be very good and hot year here in North Texas...

No fair! I've just been EATING mine without taking pics. The wax and greek have been plentiful. And I stripped back some of the overwintered jals too.

Seriously though, I think we're both going to have a great harvest this year. I'm trying to figure out which plants will just keep cranking out peppers no matter what and which ones will need to be potted up again for maximum fruit set before the long wait to harvest.

2 pounds of peppers

AJ,

What a great start I'm waiting to pick one or two peppers and you just picked 2 pounds fantastic, sign of good things to come for sure.

splitcane said:
Holy Peppers AJ, Looks like a Hot Weekend in TX...

Do tell your plans for those puppy's...?

Am going to make some Pico de Gallo with these...I also am pulling onions (Texas Reds) to thin them out and will use them too...now all I need is for my tomatos to start ripening...

Skydiver said:
Nice pods for a cull, mate. Gonna paper bag them with a banana to ripen them up?

no sir, gonna eat them green...

caroltlw said:
No fair! I've just been EATING mine without taking pics. The wax and greek have been plentiful. And I stripped back some of the overwintered jals too.

Seriously though, I think we're both going to have a great harvest this year. I'm trying to figure out which plants will just keep cranking out peppers no matter what and which ones will need to be potted up again for maximum fruit set before the long wait to harvest.

if ya snooze, you lose C... ;)

would you believe a lot of these came off plants in the greenhouse still in 3" containers...but most came from the plants in the yard in 5 gallon containers...

peppermo said:
AJ,

What a great start I'm waiting to pick one or two peppers and you just picked 2 pounds fantastic, sign of good things to come for sure.

thanks peppermo...I think most of us will have a great year...I am going to try and beat last years total harvest...I picked 368 pounds last year...

You're picking peppers in May. Is this normal for you AJ?

Question for you sir; are you going to pick some pods at the 45-50 day mark to see if they're at their peak in heat like that latest study you found suggested? Pretty sure I am.

Thanks AJ and I wish you continued success with this growing season.

patrick said:
You're picking peppers in May. Is this normal for you AJ?

Question for you sir; are you going to pick some pods at the 45-50 day mark to see if they're at their peak in heat like that latest study you found suggested? Pretty sure I am.

Thanks AJ and I wish you continued success with this growing season.

I am actually behind this year as far as production goes...

here is a post from 7 May 2008...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=5683

don't know why except I am behind on planting out...I transplanted last year about a month sooner than I did this year...

Yes, I am going to pick some between 45-50 days...got a couple of naga morich, bih jolokia, dorset naga and Naga Big Bangs labeled with the pod set date (as soon as I saw the pods)...this will put me about the middle of june for superhots at 45-50 days...

thanks for the well wishes Patrick...the same wishes come from me to you also...

Skydiver said:
Nice pods for a cull, mate. Gonna paper bag them with a banana to ripen them up?

I thought it was apples that ripen other fruits and vegetables due to the ethane gas they emit?

smariotti said:
I thought it was apples that ripen other fruits and vegetables due to the ethane gas they emit?

I haven't ever tried apples, but I do know bananas work...used them last year at the end of the season on a bunch of green pods...and I think it is ehtylene gas and not ethane...

Nice AJ! Must be that Texas sun...

Man, I could go for a fresh serrano pepper right about now [keeps telling self, soon enough:lol:].

:cool:

AlabamaJack said:
labeled with the pod set date (as soon as I saw the pods)...this will put me about the middle of june for superhots at 45-50 days...

Now that's a great idea - labeling the plant with pod date. I rely on my picture archive - try to snap a pic of the babies as soon as I notice them. Doesn't account for which exact plant it is though, but I don't have a lot of each type.

My hope is to get some ripe stuff for my birthday - July 3 - and have a pepper tasting party. I'm using the early superchillis etc to buid up my tolerance.
:mouthonfire:

Nice early harvest AJ. I'm at least 30 days away from my overwintered survivors have any significant pods. The Japones ate coming pretty quick though.

AlabamaJack said:
I haven't ever tried apples, but I do know bananas work...used them last year at the end of the season on a bunch of green pods...and I think it is ehtylene gas and not ethane...

You're right, it's not ethane, it's ethylene (also called ethene, hence my confusion with ethane.)

http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/osmoweb/ethene.htm

I'd been told that apples placed next to bananas will cause the bananas to ripen too quickly (spoil) and not the other way around. From reading a bit here and there around the web, I'm wondering if maybe I had that backwards all these years?

Edit: I did a little research (just finished a milestone at work and things are slacking off a little) and found a chart that lists fruit and both how much ethylene they produce as well as how responsive they are to ethylene in the environment:

http://www.ethylenegas.com/ethylene.htm

Here's a trimmed down version of that chart, showing the banana and all of the high and very-high gas emitters.

Code:
Ethylene Sensitivity Chart

N=None   H=High   L=Low    M=Medium   VH=Very High    VL=Very Low 

Perishable              Temperature    Ethylene     Ethylene 
   Commodities                C / F      Production   Sensitivity 

Apple (non-chilled)         1.1 / 30        VH            H 
Apple (chilled)             4.4 / 40        VH            H 
Apricot                    -0.5 / 31         H            H 
Asian Pear                  1.1 / 34         H            H 
Avocado (California)        3.3 / 38         H            H 
Avocado (Tropical)         10.0 / 50         H            H 
Banana                     14.4 / 58         M            H 
Cantalope                   4.4 / 40         H            M 
Cherimoya                  12.8 / 55        VH            H 
Nectarine                  -0.5 / 31         H            H 
Papaya                     12.2 / 54         H            H 
Peach                      -0.5 / 31         H            H 
Pear (Anjou,Bartlett/Bosc)  1.1 / 30         H            H 
Rambutan                   12.2 / 54         H            H 
Sapota                     12.2 / 54        VH            H 
Tree-Tomato                 3.9 / 39         H            M 

Pepper (Bell)              10.0 / 50         L            L 
Pepper (Chile)             10.0 / 50         L            L

Seems that the Apple and the Cherimoya and the Sapota are the big ones for emitting ethylene, so should ripen other things more quickly than the banana.

What the hell is a sapota?

smariotti said:
Seems that the Apple and the Cherimoya and the Sapota are the big ones for emitting ethylene, so should ripen other things more quickly than the banana.

What the hell is a sapota?

thats a great chart...I didn't realize an apple put out so much...and I have no clue what a sapota is ***gone googlin***

thanks for the information

Omri said:
Them looking nice!

and they taste really good with the pico I made Omri...

trinicoolieboy said:
we call them sapodillas locally.......very sweet tasting fruit....and it rots quite quickly... guess thats why it produces so much ethene[/IMG]

can you post a picture of what a cross section looks like?

and how do they taste?

Back