• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics First Harvest Pics and a review of the Peppers

This Season's first harvest for me is small, only 3 peppers. It is still early, as all my peppers were transplanted 65 days ago.

The 3 Peppers come from 2 different plants, both from saved seeds from last year's F1 Superchile Hybrids, making them F2's. The first set of pics is of a Pepper from a plant with the F1 Pod size, shape, and growing (upright) characteristics, as the Peppers look exactly like their parents. I was a little disappointed in the heat level, estimating a mere 3,000 scovilles, but the taste was delicious. The second and 3rd set of pics are of 2 peppers from a plant, where the pods are much larger than their parents. Both grew on the bottom of the plant, facing downward. The one that I ate was the fully ripened one, and it was HOT. I am estimating 50,000 scovilles, the hottest I have produced in my garden. It also had the same delicious flavor as the smaller milder one. The heat had a very interesting pattern: I bit the entire pepper at once, chewed, and swished it in my mouth briefly, before swallowing. The heat on my tongue, throat and lips got progressively stronger, but then after I swallowed, all the pain went away, except for the outside of my lips. They burned like hell for 15 minutes, and the capsicum literally burned some skin off, as my lips (6 hours after the taste) have the look and fell of chapped lips. I was relieving the pain with ice and milk. The 3rd set of pics is of a pepper from the same plant as the 2nd pepper, but picked not fully ripe.

1st set of pics:

DSCN0199.jpg

DSCN0198.jpg

DSCN0197.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg

Back