• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First Hickup of 2012

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
anyone want to venture a guess as to what is causing this in a few of my peppers...they have been in 86F under 24/7 light in the growbox...I am hoping it is a fungus or some type of mildew...

FirstObstacleof2012.jpg

Looks like fungus to me...don't think it's any specific disease. Just treat with your favorite fungicide. If it's on your stems could be phytophthora.

its strange you mention that, I had a few leaves that just started to get a few dots like those, the very small black ones, but since I pruned them for kicks to see how they would do.. they all came off anyways (off my larger plants)

but yes, looks like the one of the fungi that I made a culture of today in bio class..

also I have heard that for killing fungus since my mom has some on her rosemary and a few herbs that were in this one big pot, and started to spread to another plant pot that spraying vinegar/water solution kills it too.. anyone else heard of that

looks like a bacterial leaf spot I had that in my early jalapenos last year. There is no cure for plants infected with bacterial leaf spot. I used a copper-based fungicide weekly at first to prevent its spread. Fungicide will not kill leaf spot, but prevents the fungus spores from germinating.

that's not the news I wanted to hear LD...they are being isolated right now..

Is it on new growth, or just older lower leaves? Doesn't quite look like BLS to me, looks more like symptoms of the plant "recycling" nutrients within an old leaf before dropping it. If these are new leaves I would worry though.

looks like a bacterial leaf spot I had that in my early jalapenos last year. There is no cure for plants infected with bacterial leaf spot. I used a copper-based fungicide weekly at first to prevent its spread. Fungicide will not kill leaf spot, but prevents the fungus spores from germinating.
+1 either septoria or cercospora leaf spot would be my guesses...

I dont alot about plant diseases but Ive read alot about Chamomile tea being used as a prevention method from the start of your seeds. One cup of brewed tea one quart of water is the ratio that I read about. It was mentioned just for chiles.

AJ I have a small tree next to my driveway that gets this almost every fall. The affected leaves fall off and land on the peppers. Not long after the pepper leaves will start showing the spots and they too fall off. The tree looks great the following spring so I think the freezing temps kill it.

I would say isolation is your best bet. You might even remove the affected leaves and see if they recover. Sorry about this, good luck.

AJ I have a small tree next to my driveway that gets this almost every fall. The affected leaves fall off and land on the peppers. Not long after the pepper leaves will start showing the spots and they too fall off. The tree looks great the following spring so I think the freezing temps kill it.

I would say isolation is your best bet. You might even remove the affected leaves and see if they recover. Sorry about this, good luck.

That's what I discovered last year. I had the same thing show up on some of my plants, and I kept noticing random leaves in the yard with the final stages of leaf spot. Turns out our neighbor's tree was completely infested with whatever it was, and that's why it kept popping up throughout the year. The only way I got rid of it (temporarily) was to remove the affected foilage and then be very careful not to splash any soil onto the leaves when watering, since it had already been contaminated by plant debris. Once the plants were large enough the leaves shielded the soil from rain splash. It finally stopped showing up once the damn tree completely defoliated...

I agree with removing the affected foliage if only for damage control. My experience has been the leaves end up falling off anyway... I don't know if you foliar feed right now but you should probably *not* do that on affected plants, at least not without also using some sort of blanket protection against whatever this is.

My initial reaction is a leaf spot disease. Cercospora is a possibility but unless you have a spare electron microscope and a pathologist around, it'd be hard to tell. Cercospora can infect just about any plant.

You might want to look for a fungicide called Heritage, Daconil or make a batch of Bordeaux mixture.

thanks all for your responses...being the procrastinating person I am, I had pulled off the effected leaves when I took them out of the growbox where the temp was a constant 80F or so and moved them to my "slowgrow" area where the temp is about 70F, no more effected leaves have shown up...I think it definitely was just the high humidity and heat...we will see...I have used nothing on them to this point..

Back