• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Painful Mistake.....

CDNmatt said:

See I was abit confused by this cause I did do abit of reading before hand and one place of reference mentioned to wash thorough with soap and water and it would be fine...after I was in agony and looking for some sort of remedy several pages mentioned that water was a bad idea. Think what made is worse was I really washed my hands good front and back..spreading the oils all over sadly...

I would certainly agree with the above post about tolerence though..maybe not so much to the eye for me mind you :)

best  I have found is   using dish soap and rubbing alcohol  with a nail scrub brush...  once you have soaped up and scrubbed for about 20 seconds , rinse with warm water.    

Next step is actually very simple  but maybe no intuitive,   after you have washed them, lick you fingers.    If you can still get a burn by doing that, repeat  the steps until you don't .   

I have used this after cutting up a shite tonne of supers without gloves and it works like a charm. 

of course make sure you wash after that last lick..   ;) 

Malarky said:
Makes me think of FightClub

I kinda get the scene from Van Wilder
Link-
Still gives me the shivers when I see that last scene

One thing I did not think of that my wife brought to my attention last night was that on the drive home I had also used some Deep Cold (Icy Hot) as my neck and shoulders were killing me. I never did wash off any residue before jumping into the peppers. Anyways she thought maybe this also contributed and made the reaction that much more worse then it had to be. Really it doesnt much matter and it  does make me feel much better about it knowing most have gone through some sort of similar issue.

Happens to me several times weekly.. in spite of having nitrile gloves... because I keep thinking, "oh I'll just add some chopped peppers to supper, I won't need gloves, it's not as if I'm processing sauce."

Nothing really helps. The best cure is time and a stiff handbrush to try to scrub off that sticky capsaicin.

I had burning knuckles after sticking my hands into bags of dried super hot pods, the oils and dust transferred from the pods to the bag then rubbed on to my hands. It wasn't for several hours after that my hands started burning. It was INTENSE, no amount of soap was getting it off or stopping the burning, it had infused right into my skin. Luckily my wife had a solution which was CARMEX, it was like magic. I rubbed it thoroughly into my knuckles and the burning stopped in 2 mins which was a huge relief having endured a few hours of pain.   

We housepainting contractors got it dicked. We know every chemical counter for every chemical intrusion.

For peppers, keep a pint can of denatured alcohol on hand (I'm a professional, hence I keep a gallon).

That'll keep you from wasting good grain alcohol washing the fire from your shithooks.

Ghostpepperevolution said:
My favorite was cutting up a ghost pepper bare hands and then preceded to blow my nose. I thought I washed my hands well, nope, flaming boogers for the next hour

Yeah... nose blowing.  Gotcha. ;) 

Well when I look at the birthdays on this site, I'm 32 and on the younger end so I didn't expect many, if any gamers. Glad someone got it. =)

Ghaleon said:
Well when I look at the birthdays on this site, I'm 32 and on the younger end so I didn't expect many, if any gamers. Glad someone got it. =)
Oh yeah, I don't even know how many copies of SA2 I went through. Growing up with destructive brothers can wreak havoc on discs.

Ghaleon said:
Hack a Nintendo Wii and pirate the Gamecube version. It's hard to scratch up a file. =)
Oh trust me, I had everything from Melee to Pacman World on my hacked wii before it was stolen. I have a gamecube again now though so I may get some of those old games eventually.

Back