• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First Pepper Growing Attempt 2014

Hello

Decided to publicly post my attempts at growing peppers this year. Would appreciate any advice given.

So I am currently growing 

2 Aji Limons (one planted on the 27th February, the other on 4th March)
1 Numex Twilight (planted on 4th March)
1 7-Pot ( planted 4th March I think)
1 Bulgarian Carrot (planted 4th March)
1 Pumpkin Pepper (planted 27th February)
1 Habanero (planted 27th February)
1 Jamaican Hot Chocolate (planted 27th February)
1 Bhut Jolokia (planted 27th February)
1 Bird's Eye Pepper (planted 27th February)
1 Chimayo (which germinated but later found to have died due to damping off)

Habanero and Pumpkin Pepper were the first to hook which was on the 4th March. Aji Limon on 5th March. JHC and Bird's Eye on the 7th March. Bhut on the 8th March. Bulgarian carrot on the 9th March. Numex on 10th March. 7-pot on 14th March. 

Seeds were planted in potting mix.
"Seed & Potting Mix 
Seed & Potting Mix is a soil-less mixture used for raising seeds and striking cuttings. It is free from weed seeds and diseases and contains all the ingredients for fast and uniform germination and assures strong root development. It also contains vermiculite and peat moss to prevent drying out. Suitable for germinating all types of seed."

"Horti Soil
Is a natural product of humus which is made on the maturation by intense bacteria action of a mixture of Organic matter, peat moss, medium loam, and supplemented with Inorganic Superphosphate, Muriate of Potash, Limestone, essential trace elements and fungicide. It will improve soil structure, has higher water holding capacityand will supply adequate nutrients, auxins for promoting plant growth resulting in healthy and disease-free plants."

And repotted into my own mixture of 2 parts said potting mix, 3parts garden soil (horti soil mentioned above), 1/4 part zeolite and 1/3 part water. (once again, i do not have any experience at all and just winging it. >.< )

They were all put under 1 8W 6700k CFL light in a low tech self made grow box measuring 32cm x 22cm x 22cm (i know;its tiny) the moment they hook.

Then quickly repotted to individual cups once they sprouted. All survived the transplants.

BHUT (picture taken on the 25th March)
Messed up cots is again due to helmet head removal. I was worried as it looked to be stunted in growth and almost shrivelling. So i removed the helmet head and repotted to new soil. It was previously in a rectangular container with Pumpkin Pepper. Anyways, its doing well now. 

Aji Limon (picture taken on the 25th March)

7-Pot (picture taken on the 25th March)
This is put under clip-on reading lights which are LED and run on batteries. Did this because I had no more space in my growbox and also for experimental purposes.

JHC (picture taken on the 25th March)
Messed up cots are due to attempts at removing helmet head.

Pumpkin Pepper (picture taken on the 25th March)

Numex Twilight (picture taken on the 25th March)

Bulgarian Carrot (picture taken on the 25th March)

Habanero (picture taken on the 25th March)

I didnt include a picture of Bird's Eye because i ripped off both cots and new true leaf from trying to remove helmet head. So their existence is still currently in question. Seedlings were all placed 4 inches below the light. Some are showing purpling of stems but no purpling on leaves. I have read that they grow out of this. So we shall see.

Watering schedule: I am currently bottom watering them and the most recent watering was 2 days ago. I let them dry out (pumpkin pepper even went as far as to fold its leaves over each other) before watering. Also dig under the top layer to check for moisture.

As you can see, some are coming to a month from day of germination and while they are doing well i suppose ( apart from Aji with its curled down leaves), I am a little worried as to why they are taking so slow when other people's bhuts look so much bigger than mine at 21days.

So.. Are my worries justified? I do know that some of the hotter peppers take longer to grow. Do I need to be fertilising them already? As I have not done so because i figured the soil has enough nutrients already. I only have chicken dung, Seaweed Extract NPK 4-3-2+TE and NPK 21-21-21 foliar fertiliser at the moment. Keep in mind that we don't have access to any Home Depot and things are somewhat limited here. Also my cups are see-through. Do they need to be covered at the sides? Does that affect plant growth as I have read that roots wont grow so well if they are exposed to light or something along that line.

I hope I have covered every detail that you might need for your analysis. Thank you guys for your future input!

More or less. If you use a watering can, crumble it in and let it sit out over night to activate. I've never really measured, it's just bacteria and only effects target organisms, but somewheres around a teaspoon a litre.

I crumble/mix a little into the top of the pot, underneath the mulch(they work best with constant moisture), and leave a chunk floating in the reservoir.

miguelovic said:
Jaysus. For a plant known for mucus/booger analogies, that's a beautiful flower. Almost reminds you of an orchid.
Yes beautiful flower. It dropped and an okra is forming the very next day!! Its getting bigger by the day! How exciting!

Just got done planted 2 seeds each of the seeds Soe gave to me. Late, i know. But i finally got the time to spare. Haha.

Also up potted my korean gochu and anahu/mortgagelifter tomato plants. Hopefully they'll do better with the extra space.

My tiny balcony looks abit better now. And so does my lift landing.

Still need to replant my pumpkin. But maybe i'll do it some other time.

I finally got hold of some BTi mosquito dunks. Cost me $29.90 for 8. Hmm.

Also.. i just watered my plants with the "sweet myco tea" mix sample that i got from vegalab during the Singapore Garden Festival. Will keep a lookout for any signs that it works. Haha.

Whooooooa. 29.90? Actually that's not that crazy, it's a few years supply if your garden is small. They do sell bulk for closer to a dollar a puck. I picked up a two-pack, between a month of using them solid and proactive treatments once a month, I've still got around half left over. A little goes a long way.

miguelovic said:
Whooooooa. 29.90? Actually that's not that crazy, it's a few years supply if your garden is small. They do sell bulk for closer to a dollar a puck. I picked up a two-pack, between a month of using them solid and proactive treatments once a month, I've still got around half left over. A little goes a long way.
Haha thank you. Thats really reassuring. I was worried if i have to use alot of these. Things are really expensive here. Sigh.

I crush them up to make it go further. I'd recommend washing your hands afterward, and avoid making an excessive amount of dust e.g. crush them in a freezer bag or such, with a heavy implement. I use a half a teaspon per gallon to topdress potted plants, and maybe around a teaspoon or two for a 3 gallon bucket.

Just cleaned up my plants today. Super exhausted. Barely have enough time to myself. Badly in need of rest.

But anyways..

Been using that myco blast thing by vegalab/supreme growers.. i think there has been some noticeable changes on the kids. My anahu/mortgage lifter is doing really well.. okras have been producing a pod a week.. and latest i saw is that my korean gochu might be putting out buds. Hahahaha omg. Awesome stuff. But i'm having a headache so i'm abit lacking on excitement.. repotted a thai seedling that my uncle gave.. ruined some roots but hopefully it survives. Also repotted the lime and planted some teddy bear sunflower seeds for the fun of it. Sowed some hawaiian currant tomato seeds as well. And repotted my newly germinated black seaman and japanese black trifele. Noticed that Soe's brown rocoto and red habanero is finally hooking so excited for those. My naga hook died cos i forgot to water. Sigh. Didnt take any pictures cos i was charging my phone. Maybe next time.

So thought i'd post some pictures today.

My lone black prince coming back from certain death. Hope it goes all the way.

My anahu or mortgage lifter(still cant figure it out). Doing really well i'm proud to say.

My korean gochu. Exploding in growth. And possibly putting out tiny buds.

And lastly for the fun of it decided to try my hand at sunflowers. This is a teddy bear that i managed to germinate.

Might be germinating some of the new seeds within these 2 days since i'm on off. We'll see.

So i did manage to plant some seeds on the 2nd of october. Starting to see some hooks and sprouts from the tomatoes.

My second attempt at growing black krims.

Chocolate stripes. Excited for these.

Some yellow cherry tomato seeds i bought during the Singapore Garden Festival. They were the first to hook.

Anyways.. still waiting on the peppers. Sigh.

A little update then.. something shocking just came up.. i'll get to that in a bit.

korean gochu spitting out tonnes of buds but this is the biggest bud so far. Excited about that.

yup this was the kid in the coffee bean cup. Grew up so fast. Needs repotting i know.. still dont know whether its an Anahu or Mortgage Lifter. But i think its the latter.

my lone black prince.. after 7 months of stalled growth.. suddenly spurted like mad.. and here comes the weird part..

i think its putting out buds already. HOW?! Its still so tiny! I havent gotten the chance to repot it yet! Is this even normal?!

Gonna post this in the tomato thread and hope i get an answer.

Some updates...

my first gochu flower is finally blooming. Tonnes of buds growing bigger by the day. Excited to see if they set.

black prince flowers are blooming as well and putting out more buds. Fyi it is almost impossible for tomatoes to set here in this humid weather. Shall wait to see whether a miracle will happen before trying to force it to set.

my anahu or mortgage lifter that i lost track of is finally putting out buds. Excited!

Wow man loved the progression on the last page of this Glog!  Looking good over there.  What's the weather like there throughout the year?

Jamison said:
Wow man loved the progression on the last page of this Glog!  Looking good over there.  What's the weather like there throughout the year?
Hey thanks for the encouraging words. The weather here is either rain or shine. Could get breezy and temperature these days are between 26C to 34C. Humidity is probably 86%.

Some updates..

My korean gochu flower. Haha

my black prince flower

my anahu/mortgage lifter flower.

finally a pepper plant that looks like any of you guys'. This is a brown moruga from pepperlover.

gochus.. everywhere. They are kinda swarmed with ants though. I did check for aphids but there were none. Hmm. Wonder if they help with pollination.

black prince getting bushy and out of control. Just beginning to realise how often i'm gonna have to pinch the suckers to keep it in control.

Top view of my black prince. Lots of flowers but none set. They seem to be enjoying dropping flowers. *shrugs

My anahu/mortgage lifter. Huge plant. Stem almost as thick as my finger.

Back