• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking First Pizza on the Baking Steel

miguelovic said:
Variations in flour and gluten developement I would assume, but I'm more of an academic baker than an actual one XD

The recipe I linked is a no-knead, hence the different end texture/crumb.
I feel like there are a TON of "easy" recipes out there and not enough advanced or even "regular" ones. I would definitely be interested in becoming more anal about my dough process if it meant more controllable/predictable results.

I float towards those easy recipes XD The closest I've come to an induced mental breakdown was over bread.

Can't remember how indepth Ruth's Bread Bible was, but I enjoyed having it around. Ended up donating it to an actual dough enthusiast. Harold McGee/Science and Lore of the Kitchen covers the mechanics, IIRC. I would aim for a resource that focus' more on ratio than recipe. Far too many blogger style food picture books out there devoid of any substantial information.

miguelovic said:
I float towards those easy recipes XD The closest I've come to an induced mental breakdown was over bread.

Can't remember how indepth Ruth's Bread Bible was, but I enjoyed having it around. Ended up donating it to an actual dough enthusiast. Harold McGee/Science and Lore of the Kitchen covers the mechanics, IIRC. I would aim for a resource that focus' more on ratio than recipe. Far too many blogger style food picture books out there devoid of any substantial information.
Tell me about it. Its hard to find solid, unassailable recipe ideas backed by expertise...not just a soccer mom making dough for the first time.

I think my favorite cliche online, and it's really bad on a few sites in the comment field, is:

I changed the main ingredient, altered the seasoning to an unrecognizable clusterf**k, tripled the cook time, substituted wildly different ingredients (cilantro and parlsey LOOK similar), and IT SUCKED. THIS RECIPE IS TERRIBLE!@#!@#

:rofl:

miguelovic said:
I think my favorite cliche online, and it's really bad on a few sites in the comment field, is:

I changed the main ingredient, altered the seasoning to an unrecognizable clusterf**k, tripled the cook time, substituted wildly different ingredients (cilantro and parlsey LOOK similar), and IT SUCKED. THIS RECIPE IS TERRIBLE!@#!@#

:rofl:

Holy moly I hear you.  Pinterest is the worst thing for my wife.  She really does try hard, but she spends way too much time looking on these goofy sites where house wives put their own spin on Vegetable Soup (i.e. removing salt and anything delicious)

X2 on the cornmeal. I like parchment regardless though.

I appreciate your posting this - I have a stone and use stone+parchment (parchment *always* results in a more evenly cooked crust for me) but was wondering about a steel platter I'd seen.

Good to know they work well.

Assuming you've used a stone in the past, what did you see as the difference?

Would you recommend one over the other?

Any tricks for steel? For example, with the stone I bake at 500 (highest heat my oven will go) and it's basically a 500 degree stone when I slap the 'za on it.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance. :cheers:

Back