First post, first attempt at a set-up

WichitaChief said:
Long and skinny in my experience is not enough light. The plants are reaching. That is also why I like fans, to strengthen the stems. A fan won't fix an already leggy seedling though. If I have a weak stem plant I too bury plant it deeper. I did notice in your foil box that although you have 6 bulbs they aren't spread out much due to outlets being plugged straight into the outlet strip which doesn't spread your light out evenly. Plus japs are more of a bigger taller plant than a hab so it's their tendency to want to grow up. They need the strong light right from hook till transplant time. A short stubby hab will be more forgiving. 
a fan on a timer right off  the get helps from fungus growing and blowing the plants will make them focus on growing a strong root system , the bigger the plants get the fans get bigger . i use  20 " oscillating last on every hour about 10 min.      :onfire:

Just wanted to update with some pictures, I've been messing around with the set up quite a bit. Turns out an old friend owns a hydroponic store locally so I can get cheap things through him that the local gardening stores don't carry. I've had a few more plants die, not entirely sure why. One tomato plant got suicidal while I was at work and burned all of it's top leaves. But a lot of my pepper plants are coming along nicely I think, my fatalii seeds did not germinate so I have another cup in the works and we'll see if they germinate.

image.jpg

I did not know that purple jalapenos would have purple cotyledons. Pretty interesting. They have since turned nearly almost purple since I took this picture.

image.jpg

I'd say these two below are my two best looking jalapeno plants. Nice and dark green.

image.jpg

Mammoth basil, I love the smell of it.

image.jpg

Pretty cool. It looks like they are doing better. I dig black or purple leaves and plants. Basil smells so cool. i think of a Italian restaurant every time I handle some. Rosemary does too. Are you getting a better feel for your watering? Something that seems second nature I forgot to mention. Bigger plants with more foliage will dry the soil out sooner than a smaller less leafy plant even though it's the same soil and size container.  So watering day may not be actually so for all the plants. I don't use them so I really may not be remembering correctly but possibly some people may not like clear cups due to light and roots. Possibly I'm just remembering a persons question not someone stating facts. If that would be a problem then how do people root other plants in a glass or jar of water? Your japs do look good! Enjoy!

I noticed that the larger they got the more frequent my waterings became. I spent a good amount of time seperating plants today. I let them get a little to large before recupping them I think, some of the roots took a bit of time to safely untangle. I also culled the plants that didn't look so great. Hopefully can start giving these to some more of my friends soon as I need room for my other guys thag are up and coming. I moved all my tomato plants to the patio window as they were being very suicidal.

image.jpg

I like how your lights are more balanced as far as the spacing goes. I noticed that on a previous pic but forgot to mention it. I bet the growth is more uniform whever placed on he shelf.

Been swamped with work and just keeping on top of watering. Plants are coming along nicely. My tomato plants have been inside my patio window for the past ten days or so and are going to be going outside relatively quickly.

Purple jalapeno progress so far, was planted on 4/21:

image.jpg

One of my Jamaican Hot Reds, planted on 4/21:

image.jpg

My biggest jalapeno so far,

image.jpg

Family shot,

image.jpg

I have a few jalapeno plants in the same neighborhood as my largest one that I wouldn't mind experimenting with topping and pruning. Do you think they are too small yet, or should I give it a shot?

So just a little update, I moved two of my pepper plants outside (1 habanero, 1 jalapeno) in bigger pots, along with two of my tomato plants. My other plants are growing really well.

Purple jalapeno

image.jpg

One Chadwick cherry, and one 100 Sweet Hybrid
image.jpg

Jalapeno and Habanero
image.jpg

I also just ordered the Fox Farm Trio it should be here sometime next week. Outside of the first week that I transplanted to bigger cups these have been completely fertilizer free and only received water every other day.

Just a heads up, aluminum foil is not really the best thing especially when exposed to temperatures. Ive heard it releases bad stuff 

ErolDude said:
Just a heads up, aluminum foil is not really the best thing especially when exposed to temperatures. Ive heard it releases bad stuff 

Aluminum foil is long gone. Just using a mylar wrap now. I've adjusted (and continue to adjust the lighting set up) the amount of plants within has greatly decreased and now I've transferred all the lighting to the bottom rack for my second last set of seedlings I've started. Most of them are on my window sill, have gone outside, or have gone to friends now.

Nice looking plants!! I love the purple japs. Always thought they look cool. It sounds like you are finding your way? Peppers really are easy to grow if we get out of the way. If you have multiple plants of the same strain why not top one and not the other? Play around with it. To me the larger plants (if those are the ones you were referring to) are of size to top. As they grow since you are in pots you will need to start giving them some fertilizer. I grow in ground so I would not be the best council but I do use Fox Farm Grow Big and never had a burn issue on any plants I did have in a pot.

ErolDude said:

I thought more about this and am slightly confused. It would be exposed to temperatures no higher than 32 degrees Celsius when foil is frequently used on grills, on fires, and in ovens for much much much higher temperatures. 

WichitaChief said:
Nice looking plants!! I love the purple japs. Always thought they look cool. It sounds like you are finding your way? Peppers really are easy to grow if we get out of the way. If you have multiple plants of the same strain why not top one and not the other? Play around with it. To me the larger plants (if those are the ones you were referring to) are of size to top. As they grow since you are in pots you will need to start giving them some fertilizer. I grow in ground so I would not be the best council but I do use Fox Farm Grow Big and never had a burn issue on any plants I did have in a pot.

I've started the plants on the Fox Farm trio at half strength their recommendations for a plant of their ages. I've also got some Red Rose tomatoes in the works that I'm experimenting between fertilizer and no fertilizer. I've also topped one of my jalapeno plants still in the dixie cups, and another has flowered and is currently in the process of producing two baby jalapenos. I've never grown anything, nor had it produce fruit for me so I'm extremely excited. I ordered some sweet peppers the Giant Marconi, and Chocolate Beauty hybrid, as well as the NuMex Big Jim. Tomatoes wise I've ordered the Hawaiian pineapple, Carbon, Black cherry, and Sun Gold hybrid.

I grow the Giant Marconi and a whole bunch of other sweets which we use in a lot of cooking. Those grow easily and tall. Congrats on your success but beware it's addictive!  

I know it's addictive! Fortunately I'm limited in space. I've already given away over 20 plants. One of my Dixie cup projects started to flower and I wanted to see how well it would produce fruit, and it's doing great so far. Two little Jalapenos growing, the plant is very robust considering the size of the cup, gives me an idea of what I can let them grow to inside for next season.

When someone says a plant is root bound what exactly does that mean? Is there a point in which if I leave a plant in a cup for too long before transplanting that it won't grow in it's new pot, or will the roots continue to grow to the volume of the pot it's planted in?

I'm also experiencing extremely slow growth on my fatalii and trinidad perfume peppers. I will post pictures of them when I get home and maybe can have some help diagnosing the issues because every other plant I have is getting the exact same treatment and is flourishing.

Started the Fox Farm trio, I also experimented between fertilizing and not fertilizing and I noticed that even with the weakest fertilizer Fox Farm offers in the trio "the Big Bloom" using it as per their recommendations it caused minor fert burn on my baby tomato seedlings. I've been using everything at half strength on my other plants thankfully but wanted to see the difference between Fox Farm and just water using soil.

image.jpg

Root bound means that the plant has nowhere else to put roots out int he container. So the roots start circling round the container. Don't worry wherever you put it the roots will expand normally. :D

Just a quick update,

It took almost a week before the jalapeno and habanero felt comfortable enough outside to start growing but now they're really starting to take off. I've topped a few of my pepper plants inside that are acting as science experiments. My tomatoes are blowing up, had to stake them and tie them to it and they're shooting out a lot of flowering branches I can't wait. Looking forward to trying out pruning and what I like think of as manipulative growth for next year.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tracking plant ages, fertilizing schedules and everything is quite the ordeal I had to make a paper spreadsheet to keep track of it all.

image.jpg

Just wanted to thank you all who have helped me thus far. Very much appreciated.

Back