• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting First Scotch Bonnet harvest

Hi all !

I've picked my first Scotch Bonnet it was red, and it has been like that for 10 days or so before i decided to pick it.

I ate it and to my surprise it was sweet but not very strong, at least not what i expected.... where did i go wrong ? I thought those were close to habs !!!

It was oversized and as i said been red for 10 days or so, would that be the problem ???

Pat

What variety is it? Is it a chinense or annum? A lot of annums are sold as scotch bonnets...so that could be it. Or maybe you just got a mild pod...

The longer you let it stay on the vine ripe, the more heat it will lose. But the two Scotch Bonnets I've grown (Burkina Yellow & Jamaican Yellow) weren't very hot either. Not as hot as a regular Orange Hab for me. That being said, pepper heat is variable due to many factors. Pick 'em as soon as they're ripe and see what you've got.

I hear from a lot of people that the earliest pods tend to be a bit weaker on the scovilles too. I bet the next few peppers are a bit hotter.

Are you sure its a bonnet, any photos? break one open the scent is quite different from your typical hab.

I'll try another one pretty soon so i guess i'll see if they are hotter, certainly hope so. And yeah they are bonnet the shape is pretty obvious i'll take pics of the other ones pretty soon.

And i'll keep you guys posted !!!

I thought of another thing i'm pretty up north here (north of the great lakes), nowadays it's hot(84)and very humid ! Maybe it has an influence....

Pat

P.S. Avon, i have no clue if it's chinense or annum... bought them from ebay.

How often do you water? Do you let them dry out and wilt a little before the next watering, or do you water them on a regular basis?

More stress = hotter peppers.
Regular water and no stress = good flavor and mild heat.

Many flowers per node so i guess i have chinense !

My wife told me that the plant needed water, it was thirsty, so i guess that did not help either...

Live and learn as they say !

Pat

Back