• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First Super Chile of the Season

I just picked and at the first super chile of the season. I didn't grow these from seed. I bought them at a local nursery. They are great for my zone, as one fully ripened after only 54 days in the ground. Many more are already at the brown stage. Also, many more peppers are on the way, while other varieties have not started to produce any fruit at all. The pepper was delicious. It was sweet, with a good amount of heat. I have seen web sites, claiming that these were between 30,000 to 50,000 scoville units. Not this one. It was maybe 10,00 scoville. I ate one that was not red yet. It wasn't milder. It had the same heat level. I saved seeds from the ripe one for next year.

Enjoy the pics:

img_0811.jpg

img_0812.jpg

img_0813.jpg

It doesn't look that hot me either.
I hoped you washed your hands after touching that though.
Nice pictures!
Thanks for posting; I've never tasted one.

I've grown this one before. It had cayenne heat and was a great producer. Probably just need to stress your plants a little more to get better heat out of them

To reply to ABurningMouth, how do the pictures show that it is not that hot?

I a decent "Chilehead." I have eaten a Bhut which should give me the right to call myself a "Chilehead." In my experiences in trying hot peppers, this was by far the tastiest. It would have been perfect if it were a little bit hotter, maybe 20% or so.

In any event, I highly recommend this for anybody in my zone, or in similar zones, with short growing seasons and not the ideal garden conditions. The plants are short, do not take up a lot of space, produce a lot of peppers, and most importantly, they mature in 2 months, while other varieties usually take 3 months to mature.

In addition, the plants do well without full sun, as a few of my superchile plants are surrounded by larger garden plants (cucumbers, eggplant) and have a lot of light blocked out. They are doing just as well as other superchiles that get full sun.

I wonder if this strain was deliberately bred to thrive in less than ideal growing conditions.

I'll be growing lots of these next season!

Whoa- I didn't mean to say "not that hot". And I didn't mean to judge. I meant not as hot as some chinenses I know of. Some c. annum peppers do indeed burn like fire.
I am certainly open to to new experiences and tastes, so this does sound very good. I especially like the attributes you described about it's growth habit. I like a fast and short growing plant.

I grew those last year in the Seattle area and they did great. They were perfect for our short growing season. Wish I grew some this year. They may not be the hottest pepper, but they do have a pretty good kick. I loved munching on these while I was outside gardening. They go GREAT with beer on a hot day out in the yard.

you have a lot of pods forthcoming to you this year...here is a pic of my super chilis from September last year...they are massive producers and pretty dern tasty...great for making powder out of...in fact, 3 plants produced so many last year that I have about 2 pounds of dehydrated pods sitting in my storage area...

SuperChili09-14-09-1.jpg

Back