• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First Time Gardener, Mishaps & Exploits

First time gardener here, 9b in Southern California, have around 550-600 square feet of space to use.  Starting a garden this year, because its the first time I've had room for more than one or two plants in the last 6 years and I have hated vegetables outside of a small range since I was a kid.  I'm hoping I can help kick my issue with vegetables this year by growing them.  This all started with a drunken night celebrating and ordering some mystery "Super hot, Pepper Seed mix" off of Ebay.  No clue if the seeds will actually be true to their labels, Reaper, Red and Peach Ghost, Trinidad Scorpion and Orange Habanero.  Since I made this mistake, and didn't realize it until the item had shipped, I figured I would give it a go anyways.  My girlfriend was down (not for the peppers) to grow other assorted veggies and has since become annoyed with all of my pepper stuff that is growing.  I ordered a few types of seeds from White Hot Peppers, Bahamian Beast Peach F3, Sugar Rush Red, Purple UFO, Swamp Thing, Fatalii Chocolate, Bahamian Goat, Satan's Kiss and Aji Pineapple.  I will probably have to ninja those seeds straight into potting mix outside in my garden, because I might be murdered if my girlfriend sees me setting up a mini-greenhouse inside our house again.  I also picked up a few peppers at Cal Poly Pomona's Pepperzania about a month ago, a Carolina Reaper, Chocolate 7-pot, Himo Togarashi and one I am drawing a complete blank on.  Garden also includes your typical garden veggies, tomatoes (few different types), cucumbers, sweet corn, squash (no clue what type), carrots, beets or radishes (drawing a blank) and I am pretty sure I am forgetting something.

Most plants are in cloth planter bags (is that what they're called?) and all the seeds will be ninja'ed into 2 gallon cloth bags and put out of direct line of sight from my overseer.  I will take some pictures and post them up when I have time, currently at work and had a few extra minutes to type this up.  I will be enlisting help via pictures of issues I know I will have, currently fighting off a bug infestation of earwigs, neem oil should be at my place tomorrow (diatomaceous earth hasn't helped much).

Pepper List:

Cal Poly Pomona Plants:
Reaper
Chocolate 7-Pot
Himo Togarashi
One I am going blank on

Mystery Seeds:
Reaper
Red and Peach Ghost
Trinidad Scorpion
Orange Habanero

Actual Seeds from White Hot Pepper:
Bahamian Beast Peach F3 
Sugar Rush Red 
Purple UFO 
Swamp Thing
Fatalii Chocolate 
Bahamian Goat 
Satan's Kiss 
Aji Pineapple

My two, 5 gallon bucket Kratky pepper plants are starting to put out peppers. One of them has around a dozen it has started this week alone.

The other has a pepper that started ripening and I’m not sure if it’s a off pheno ghost or it’s crossed with something. It might be an inch in length, but definitely no longer than that.

35634cc40793d769821cacbae75949e2.jpg

One of the flowers on that same plant.

937f2ff5d9b98fb979db3226ec473f55.jpg

The other Kratky that has pumped out the peppers this week.

b32a5856e8509bf12e90a6680948c705.jpg

40eed7a5c2d3e241e7e276bf29f045d3.jpg

The mystery cross I’ve posted before in a 27 gallon Kratky setup. This plant has pumped out quite a few peppers this week.

d48548e47ea314b4005fbe1898b2df59.jpg

c5c7287af8a05ff4ce206f62186716c2.jpg

Himo Togarashi plant has put out a handful of peppers, they aren’t very tasty, but I think it’s a pretty plant.

cd5a7192e034e42e07587e5ce452f639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thrips and aphids were found in a few isolated plants over the weekend, I had neem oil on hand and hit them with it on Sunday night. I ordered some pyrethrin and got it in today and proceeded to hit the same plants and a few of the adjacent plants a few minutes ago. I hope I didn’t go overboard, but who knows.

I noticed this guy, excuse the shit nighttime pictures. He looks a little angry and has some noticeable bumps that look like they want to start showing soon.

02055f4ecf5490cd8f3a3701952d5dcd.jpg
6b820cdf6ab59d02de568a86c8444f42.jpg

simp3204 said:
Was supposed to be a red ghost, not entirely sure what it is now.

It definitely has the right shape for a Bhut Jolokia / Ghost Pepper.
It might turn out to be what you think it is after it ripens up!

Keep the Faith!

Found this little guy this morning, pretty sure it’s a Trinidad Scorpion, but I could easily have messed my labels up.

3cbd60ebd019447d2dfba727778c2f95.jpg

f8cdc6c119b88b30a9b02fcb3f2089ec.jpg

Picked this guy this morning, pretty sure it’s an off pheno red habanero. It’s the first pepper on the plant.

50722b1f957163b8db03cc0d4d4b0586.jpg
27cea9b6249c5ea77594e6d230da7a4f.jpg

Mr.joe said:
Pods are coming in good for you now.i think my Chinese are going to start producing now. I hope...
Mine are just starting to pod up and the ones without pods have been putting out a ton of flowers, so I think the Chinense are enjoying our current SoCal weather

simp3204 said:
I should definitely do that too, I’m wondering if my little kitchen scale would be sensitive enough to weigh them. Tomato worm throw down 2019!

I'm only a month late here, seems to be my style this season. I think I would have won this year with all the worms I've stomped this season. Dipel dust is the cure, it's cheap and they do come out of the soil. Dipel dust is organic too ;)

Well, I'm turning the typical double post into a congrats on your garden ;) 

Glad you're starting get some ripe pods, and may that gnarly looking pod grow true for you. I bought some red bhut seeds, 2 packs! From a seller who's name I won't mention, and one came up. It's finally setting a pod, and it looks like some freaky bell pepper wannabe..LOL buyer beware!

I do so much better when the THP folks send me OP seeds :dance:

Devv said:
Well, I'm turning the typical double post into a congrats on your garden ;) 

Glad you're starting get some ripe pods, and may that gnarly looking pod grow true for you. I bought some red bhut seeds, 2 packs! From a seller who's name I won't mention, and one came up. It's finally setting a pod, and it looks like some freaky bell pepper wannabe..LOL buyer beware!

I do so much better when the THP folks send me OP seeds :dance:
Thank you! I’ve enjoyed the garden ride so far this year and finding THP.

I’m going to pick up some Dipel dust and see if it helps. I have a corner of a concrete slab I’ve been stomping almost all of the tomato worms on and it glows under my black light.

I never knew buying seeds was such a guessing game until I started my garden. The possible shishito was supposed to be a Trinidad scorpion. *face palm*

Got home to my possible Trinidad Scorpion having self destructed in its Kratky setup. It’s too dark and a flashlight doesn’t help too much, but it’s looking like possible root rot has set in. Going to take a look in the morning and trim back the root and clean out the tub before giving it fresh water.

Leh sigh, the plant was starting to put out a lot of peppers.

Yes, I think its time for so cal now. Luckily we have enough season to see them thru. I hope none of you have found more worms than me, I lost count long ago, but I've killed enough of them for 5 of us and I'm not done yet.

Mr.joe said:
Yes, I think its time for so cal now. Luckily we have enough season to see them thru. I hope none of you have found more worms than me, I lost count long ago, but I've killed enough of them for 5 of us and I'm not done yet.
Still finding a few worms a week, but they have seemed to slow down for me. Right now I’m battling thrips on a handful of plants.

They definitely slowed down here too, but that made me stop looking for them too. Last week I got out my trusty flashlight and found several on my potted plants. I've got no doubt a few are out back in the garden.

Back