• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Time Grower 2011

My plants are sprouting like mad now. Running out of room. May need to rethink my growing station. Any suggestions?
peppers%20007.jpg

Thanks Skydiver!
Yes it is!! I just didn't think I would germinate so many my first try. Just got my Douglah and Yellow Bhut seeds in yesterday. Debating on whether or not to plant them. Will definitely need more room..hmm..Decisions..decisions..

I think it really depends on several factors. If you can afford more lights and have more room then go that route. Most likely that is not the case. I believe you have several plants of the same variety. Choose a few duplicates that you can chuck and substitute in some Douglah and Yellow Bhut seeds. The real problem is going to be when they get bigger. When can you plant out in TN?

Our last frost is usually mid march, however it looks like spring may come earlier this year. Not sure I want to chuck the plants. May try selling I don't need. At Lowes right now seeing how I can expand cheaply

Well, I decided to build a bigger grow area. Nothing fancy.
I went with 4 sunlight fluorescent lights (2250 lumens) since they were cheaper than the aquarium & plant ones.
peppers%20013.jpg

4'X 2'X 4' frame.
peppers%20014.jpg

peppers%20017.jpg

I should have plenty of room for a while now.
peppers%20018.jpg

I'm not one of the experts around here but IMO you need to get the light lowered way down (a few inches from the plants) and move them up as they grow. Nice box, what material did you use for the reflector.

Yeah, I'm actually at Lowes looking for shelf ideas. I bought the insulation foil for hot water heaters. It turned out better than I thought. Thanks

Yeah, I'm actually at Lowes looking for shelf ideas. I bought the insulation foil for hot water heaters. It turned out better than I thought. Thanks

Thanks SS! A few pieces of scrap wood hanging around the house, a little ingenuity and there you go. Problem solved. Lol. I decided to wait on the shelving since I think I might build it myself later. For now, I bought some longer chains for the lights. Should be good enough for now.

I thought I would give an update of my progress after one week. I was having trouble with about 1/3 of my plants wilting, which I was able to save most of them. Now, the ones that are doing well are starting to slow down and turn yellow. I have been sprinkling a couple of Epsom salt crystals on the soil and giving them a quick mist of water to try to help with the magnesium deficiency, however they are still yellow. Take a look at these guys and tell me what you think.
peppers%20003.JPG

peppers%20001.JPG

Is it still too early to start feeding them ferts? When is the best time to start feeding them? Thanks!

I just checked the pH of the soil I'm using, and it's between 6.5 and 7.0. Closer to 6.5. Should I try some fish emulsion and try to boost the nitrogen a little? I'm a total noob at this, so any feedback from you smart people would help out greatly! :D

Omega I have used 3 methods for germination. first was just in soil. Second was in ziplock with moist paper towel. This year (after reading in here) tried the cups. I would have to highly recommnend the cups with lids. This works very well and allows you to see the seeds at all times. Seems to germinate faster as well.
As far as seeds, as you have already read, ebay is not a great source for seeds but I bought from unreliable places my first time as well. Lesson learned. Good thread in here somewhere on good seed suppliers. Makes all the difference in the world.
Good luck in your growing!

Weekly update. Well, I can truly say that growing peppers is an art. After a lot of trail and error and taking some great advice from the folk in here, my peppers are finally starting to take off. The soil was my main problem. Once I switched back to a good seed starting soil again, the growing began. I did give them their first feeding of 1/4 strength "Watch Us Grow" 8-8-8 fertilizer on Friday 3-11-11. They seemed to have loved the food because look at them now!
peppers%20011.JPG

peppers%20009.JPG

Trinidad Scorp looking happy
peppers%20006.JPG

Bhut Jolokia
peppers%20003.JPG

It's been 2 weeks since my last update so I thought I would share what I have going on right now. All my Trinidads are doing great except for one which I can't figure out why. My Bhuts are starting to turn yellow which I gave them some Epsom salt a few days ago which didn't seem to help. How long do you usually have to wait to see results? One thing I did change was I fed them fish emulsion instead of their weekly chemical fertilizer I've been using. I thought about re potting some of them but not sure that's a good thing to do so soon. Any ideas what I need to do?

peppers%20001.JPG

peppers%20002.JPG

peppers%20004.JPG

peppers%20005.JPG

Red Fresno seedling just sprouted today
peppers%20007.JPG

Wilting Trinidad Scorpion
peppers%20003.JPG

BTW, I checked the pH on the wilting scorp soil and it is 6.5. Also, the soil moisture is just about right.

I can relate to running out of room. I ended up with way too many plants because of several things. Having better germination than I expected, continually adding more and more varieties, and not having the heart to murder the extras that I'm wasn't going to keep. I've given away probably 70 plants and still have about 30 more to find a home for. :crazy:

I ended up spending extra money potting up and giving away the extra plants, but at least I find homes for them with friends and family who will enjoy them. :cool: Next year I'm germinating a lot less seeds though because it's been a hassle. Unless I move to a new house with a huge backyard, at least.

what to do?

first i would add more potting soil
to fill the beer cups full;
most of yours i have seen
look to be a little less than full(the lines at the top of the cup can be seen)
try a few adding more soil to the bottom and a little to the perimeter (to hide the lines)
to raise the soil volume up to full capacity
you may be 6 or 7 fluid ounces low of potential volume
if you put it under you can also see the root penetration
into each single cup (each plant's root condition) as you go.
after seeing a few you may decide to pot up or ? ( or that the nitwit is :crazy: )

they are quite pretty right now hope the weather changes in their favor soon

Back