• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First time grower help needed

Hello,
This is my first post and also my first time growing "anything" so need a little assistance. I am in the Detroit Michigan area, looking at growing some super hots for giggles. To be honest I don't even like hot peppers; my wife thinks I am crazy.

Ok sorry on to what I plan on growing, HP22B, Butch T, Bhuts maybe a few different kinds and maybe a few habaneros.

I have some seeds already from Pepper Joe. When should I start them? We plan on having a garden but I highly doubt I will have enough room so probably growing in pots. I will probably go to a Hydro store for some seed starting supplies and pots.

What type of soil should I use? What type of insect killer solution should I use and how often?

I will start them in my basement. I have a 6ft table to use and I have some normal 4ft lights. Do I need special lights? Not looking at spending a ton on this.

Sorry for all the mobo jumbo. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
Adam

... To be honest I don't even like hot peppers; my wife thinks I am crazy. ...
What is it you don't like? IMHO peppers are awesome and why go thru all the trouble? I can't help answer your questions because I grow in South Florida and we have a different climate, but I agree with Joyners that all the information you seek is on these forums ... good luck with your grow!

I am crazy I know! I think it will be fun growing these. I am starting to try hot peppers but by no means am I into them. We are having our first garden and thought this would be a blast to grow.

I'm still a noob on so much of this. But just from reading what you want to do, and how you are trying to keep costs down, I have a couple of recommendations. To all of you veterans: Please feel free to correct my advice should it be faulty.

First, why go to a hydroponics store? I was working out a deal of selling chili starts with a local hydroponics store here in Tucson. They were always trying to get me to spend more money on this or that "needed" gadget, or using this or that "special fertilizer," etc. They sold me on using hydrocubes for starting seeds, until I spoke with another local nursery that sells superhot peppers. The manager of the nursery told me that he doesn't use hydrocubes because even though they're great for starting seeds, they are also great for starting mold and fungus. Funny, because I had to battle the mold and fungus issue just about every day.

If this is your first time, my suggestion is DON'T get too wrapped up in growing "The Perfect Pepper." My first year was a learning experience, as I lost a lot of the first seedlings to damping.

Go to a local nursery instead of a hydroponics store. Don't let them sell you the most expensive seed starting mix. I don't like to use the commercial mixes anymore, but that's because I've gone to the next step in my learning process of mixing my own growing medium. Just get yourself a nice bag of seed starting "soil," which has worked for me in the past. Oh, don't ask for any advice from a Big Box retailer's Nursery section, as it's hit or miss on finding someone who knows what they are talking about.

About your lighting: Go to Home Depot, Ace or Lowe's and look for a 75 watt plant bulb. I bought one at Ace a week ago for about $10. Yesterday, I saw that Home Depot has the same lights for under $7. The plant bulb is more bell shaped, so if it won't fit in your lamp, go find one of those really cheap $5 clip lamps.

The peppers you mentioned are known to be more difficult to sprout. As Walker said, do a search and you'll discover how to be successful at sprouting your superhots. The nursery manager I talked to has extreme difficulty in getting his to sprout. Last Winter, he planted 1,000 seeds, and he only had a 16% success rate! On December 8th, I planted 20 Bhut Jolokias, 20 Trinidad Scorpions, and many other varieties. I've had 90% sprout already. Why? Because after researching like you are doing, I discovered that the soil for superhots to sprout needs to be in the mid-80's. I used a small but powerful heater that I bought for under $25, and kept the room between 80-90 degrees during the day.

Again, I'm still a noob myself, but I thought I'd share this with you, because like you, I am very money conscious! So, assuming you already have pots to start the seeds in (by the way, clean cottage cheese containers with holes drilled in them work, too!), I estimate that you'll probably pay $40-45 for a small package of seed starter medium, 2 plant bulbs, and one heater.

Good luck!

Tim, thank you so much for your information. These plant bulbs you are talking about will they fit in a standard 4ft fluorescent ballast? If not I will get the clip on ones. I have a heat mat, I take it this won't work? I am scared to have a heater on as I work all day. I was only going to the Hydro store for pots, nothing too much. I guess I can go to a nursery.

So I should start me seeds ASAP? I am seeing some people in Ohio starting already.

Thanks,
Adam

I've started my seeds already, but my growing season starts mid-March. Then again, the chilies you are growing are supposed to require a long growing season, so now may be a good time. I have a little mini-greenhouse I built off my covered patio with pvc piping and plastic sheets from Home Depot, so I can keep my plants protected from when the temperature goes to 40 or below. Peppers and tomatoes will usually die at 40 or below, unless you insulate them somehow.

Pots? Sure, at the hydro store. But don't let them start selling you all of their high tech equipment! You'll end up opening your wallet much wider. Last year I bought a number of Home Depot five gallon buckets for under $3 each and drilled dozens of holes on the bottoms and bottom sides with my drill. Worked great, but not too pretty. I should mention that I don't have soil in my yard, but something called "Caliche" which is like a natural cement. But I don't think you want to start your seeds in a five gallon pot. Keep in mind that one of the great features of planting a chili in a five gallon pot is that you can move the pot indoors when the weather threatens to be bad or cold.

Funny you mention the fluorescent bulbs. I saw the 48" long plant/aquarium bulbs at Home Depot yesterday, and today I found that Walmart carries them, too (I try to avoid Walmart as much as possible).

You might want to ask the others about their advice about the heat mat. If it is a seedling heat mat, it should work. But I don't know about other heat mats. I explored purchasing a large seedling heat mat, and found that I would spend at least $75. So I went with the little heater instead.

I think the seedling heat mats are more energy efficient than a space heater because they heat the things that come in contact with them rather than the whole room. I've used them for years and swear by them. You only need the mat until the seedlings are up and the cotyledons are out... then just keep them at room temperature.
I also think the 4 foot flourescent shop lights are cheaper to run than the incandescent grow bulbs. You don't need to buy aquarium bulbs either... look for the ones that have a color temperature of 5,000k to 6,500k. They're usually labeled "Daylight". A good tutorial is found here... http://thehotpepper....icle-light-101/

Good luck

Most "plant" bulbs aren't worth it. Lower lumen output verses regular fluorescents or compacts fluorescents, which will do you better. Stickman advice is sound!

Got to Walmart and get:

1. peat moss - Good to start seeds, low bacteria helps prevent damping off 10$

2. Solo cups - cheap pots for small plants 3-5$ for a lot

3. Straws - won't mold and will work well for ID tags (cut in half to double amount) 2-3$ for a lot,

4. Clear plastic bin (with lid) - mini green house for starting 10$ but will last forever and have other uses

21y8cAcU3PL._SL250_.jpg

If starting inside get a couple of these (note the 6500k)
AAAAAofRZdMAAAAAANzaLA.jpg

That’s my basic starter kit. I add compost tea in after about 2 sets of leaves or 3-5" tall. The extra peat moss works well to add body to your soil later.

Here is a good way to make GREAT soil cheap and that thread will provide loads of inspiration
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/21940-gurus-18-acre-fabriculture-5-yr-mothers/#entry462972

Back