• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First time grower, outdoor, and trying to overwinter!

First time grower, only thing I have ever grown is a watermelon plant in my teens, all I did was dig up about a 6" circle of soil in the yard, pop a seed in, water often, and I had incredible results!  Many rediculous sized melons!

I started late, and on a tight budget, and I don't have a yard, was living on a 1st floor apt, now on a 3rd floor, only receiving about 4.5ish hours of direct sunlight a day after moving to a 3rd floor :(

My grow is tiny this year, I started with 2 already growing melon plants, and an already growing Jalapeno plant, I have since then added a pair of baby red bell pepper plants.  The baby bell plants were already around 18" tall or so, and one already had fruits started.  Next year I plan to start much earlier, start some more "rare" pepper varieties, as well as other plants/herbs/etc, and try to start from seed.  

​I'm using supplemental lighting since I don't get many daylight hours, I had been using 3 43w 2900k CFL's (43 true watts), but I was clumsy and broke 2 yesterday, and then did research, and found out 2900k is better for flowering not vegetation, so now I'm running 1 43w 2700k, and 4 23w 5700k's.  I plan on adding back in 1 or 2 more 2900k's before long on top of what I'm running.  When winter comes, I hope to try and keep the pepper plants in a closet, and keep them thriving all year and producing!  

This is a hobby, it's fun!  I realize I could save more money just buying the basic peppers that I have from my local grocery store, but I wouldn't be learning anything from that!  

Edit:  I used the cheapest potting soil I could find, its full of mulch, drains well.  I'm using a full dose of liquid fertilizer every week, sometimes using it dilluted halfway through the week depending on how much I water depending on temps. Last week was fairly cool, got away with watering every 2 days, but its about to it 96-100 everyday for the next 6 days straight, so I'll likely be watering daily

June 9th, day I bought my Jalapeno and 2 types of melon plants (crimson sweet and sugar baby)
suy9ut.jpg

June 10th, transplanted, melons got about 2.7 bags of the cheap potting soil, Jalapeno got the rest in a tiny jug
Melons looked sad
2agt4wh.jpg

June 15th Melons perked right back up, Jalapeno plant already growing strong
214e9zd.jpg

July 4th, moved to 3rd floor, less daylight hours, transplanted my Jalapeno into a 5 gallon bucket with around 3.5 gallons of cheap potting soil, transplanted my melons from the old tote with 2.7ish bags of soil to around 10+ bags of potting soil, broke most the rooting system doing that
331d8bd.jpg

July 5th, added supplemental lighting to Jalapeno plant, 2 43w bulbs, move plant to corner of porch during indirect light hours, and in sunlight during direct light hours
v62b6h.jpg

July 8th, added a pair of red baby bell pepper plants, they came in a tiny pot but were already growing strong and one of them had 3 tiny peppers starting, transplanted them into a 5 gallon bucket and added a 3rd 43w light, this pic is taken during sunlight hours while also applying supplemental lighting from behind
35c2xwz.jpg

July 13th, a couple of my red baby bell peppers
jq5j44.jpg

July 17th, just out catching some rays
t7yafl.jpg

July 19th, this morning at 6am, I know, I know, I need to get some more of my lights above.  I plan on adding 1-2 more lights, and I know I need them higher on the plants, but at the same time, since CFL's dont penetrate foliage well, I plan on keeping some down low.  
339smqw.jpg

Almost forgot this pic, my baby red bell peppers from 2-3 days ago.  

i2vh20.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Hope your lights dont make your electric bill hit the roof :)
Plants looking good.
haha, I don't think it will be too bad, only at 135w of total power used currently, although I might add a tiny bit more come winter for the closet grow, I'm really unsure how much I need, all I know is my plants are responding to the 15-16 hours of supplemental lighting, and 4.5 of direct sunlight great!  

I'll try not to upgrade my Glog too much so I don't clog up the forum, but I'm proud of my Jalapeno plant, it started off soo tiny, was growing slow, I had little hope of getting more than a dozen peppers.  Now its exploding with growth!  Looks like a mini bush!  Counted its nodes/branches whatever you call them just now, 13 separate "tops"!  I never topped it or pruned it.  I think all the side lighting helps a lot so the lower branches get light, plus I keep my CFL's usually about 1/2" or so from the leaves.  I've questioned myself the entire process so far, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing something right as everything is looking great, having very few leafs ever change color and lost virtually none!

Pics from today, 7-21-2016
2a7vgnc.jpg

efp0ll.jpg

245d9io.jpg

My biggest baby bell pepper so far, not 100% sure how big these get, there are 5 total on one plant, other one hasn't started producing yet
24ez9eb.jpg

Judging by the size maybe twice as big as your seeing them now if not 2 1/2 times that size just judging by the size of the lobes honestly. Oh and by the way I think I will be using the huge storage containers next year haha.

Pepperhead1989 said:
Judging by the size maybe twice as big as your seeing them now if not 2 1/2 times that size just judging by the size of the lobes honestly. Oh and by the way I think I will be using the huge storage containers next year haha.
Next year I'm definitely adding a 2nd storage container, that one holds a total of "45 gallons" so it probably has around 37-40ish gallons of soil in it!  It's heavy lol
Depending on how my melons do in low light, I might replant, might not.  My 2nd tote I plan on adding next year (more planning, earlier start), I plan on using a variety of "crops" that use little light.  I'm new to this and addicted already!  

I want more pepper type plants, want some tomatoes going, definitely some herbs, and likely a lot of other stuff.  Having all these lights already will make starting from seed a lot easier indoors :)

edit:  Had to make a side by side comparison, 16 days since I first added supplemental lighting.  No pruning/topping, the Jalapeno is turning into a bush!  

35lrn1j.jpg

Update, just last night started hand pollinating my pepper plants, my Jalapeno plant has has TONS of flowers, but no fruit, it dropped a few flowers, but it also has been low to high 90's for almost 2 weeks, now its cooled down.  My Bell's only had their original 5 peppers that are still growing, just today I noticed 2 more (1 on each plant) growing!    My Watermelons are growing like weeds, my crimson sweet (aka big melons) started putting out female flowers, between the two plants I have 14-15 melons growing now!  

I kick my lights on around 6-7 whenever I get out of bed, move my peppers to the edge of the balcony around 3pm, then pull them in around 7:30-8pm and re-arrange my lights.  I hit them with the lights from different angles daily.  They grow rediculous amounts over night

Pics from earlier today and tonight

My Jalapeno plant (ignore my crap trellis, plan on re-doing it lol) 
sv6s74.jpg

My plants catching their short 4 - 4.5 hours of direct sun
1zxw6th.jpg

Melons today before direct sun hit, 14 of them bad boys started!  Been hand pollinating like crazy to keep up :)
dnm61z.jpg

Just now, sun going down, moved my peppers back to the corner, re-set my lights, time to catch a little more artificial rays
15mo7kn.jpg

2iglh7l.jpg

Not the best pics, right now getting my direct sun for the day and my camera phone isn't the best.  But 8 day update.  

My Jalapeno plant has grown 3 inches taller in 3 days!  I'm now starting to measure it more often, it's catching up with my bell pepper plants in size lol!  
Only one of my baby bells are ripening so far, its not even one of the bigger ones, it like half the size of others, but its almost there, will make a single bite for me and my girl to split haha, but that's ok.  There are 7 more bells total still growing.  

My melons are doing great, the vines finally started to go into overdrive, since I started late, they are just now fully kicking off.  I have 3 "strong" melons so far, and another good 5-8 smaller ones.  I finally built a trellis as the melons were over running the porch.  It's a free/ghetto trellis, training most the vines up, and leaving some on the ground.  I'm going to add more tiny branches between the main branches of the trellis, and will likely train 1 or 2 more vines up.  

I've cut back on watering since I feel I've overdone it, and since I had been giving loads of 10-15-10 nutes with waterings, today after letting the soil get fairly dry, I decided to flush everything, melons, peppers, even my 2 hanging flowers.  watered them until they pee'd, then re watered, then re-watered lol...  Will let them dry up, then probably give them more nutes lol......  

Peppers catching direct rays
169i35k.jpg

My first baby bell to ripen, it looks brown, but its actually more orange/turning red, just my phone not catching it right lol
2cei4ix.jpg

My new melon trellis setup, don't judge lol....  Bunch of sticks I got from a large broken branch on the ground behind our apartment.  It's pretty stout, and cleaned up these long ass vines off our porch for the most part.  I have many 6-8 foot vines
snjnr4.jpg

no6cma.jpg

Just stepped out about 5 minutes ago (9:25 central time) to kick my lights off and took this pic.  
I live a few miles from the international air port, scared a plane might think my porch is landing lights for the runway =P

1zqdg74.jpg

Found my first 2 Jalapeno's today, the one in the picture, and the other is like the size of a pea lol.  I feel like a proud little Jalapeno father LOL
I hope it explodes with growth.  And I still plan on over wintering it and trying to produce from it.  I think I might cut my bell's way back and just try to keep them alive for next year, and focus all my lighting/efforts on making my Jalapeno produce all winter in my closet.  A lot of effort, but its a fun hobby I'm learning.  I know how to grow the "herb" in a closet from years past, but don't have any interest in the risk involved now days lol....  
6rtvkm.jpg

karoo said:
Great ,
I would love to see your container watermelon grow to the end.
Keep posting.
I will definitely be updating often haha.  I started way late in the year, so just hoping for a few melons to mature, only have about 2 more months of real nice weather left, and around 3 months until average first frost, have 3 baseball sized melons so far, and many marble+ sized melons growing from my sugar babies, my Crimson Sweets has a couple marble sized melons started, although that variety grows much bigger vines/melons, and they took longer to get started.  
Next year I'll be starting indoors since I have all these CFL's before last frost, and get a way bigger jump.  My vines are already huge for my porch, next year my porch will be over ran lol.  I might train straight up to the ceiling, and just do a single melon plant instead of two, as I have hopes of doing much more variety of crops in buckets, would like some rare peppers and other stuff.  

I know melons need lots of space for roots to branch out from all my "research", but I've also seen people grow smaller varieties (like my sugar babies) in 5 gallon buckets with great success!  My tote is 45 gallons and has 37-40 gallons of potting soil.  Next year I'll amend the cheap potting soil with maybe some sand/perlite/other stuff, need to do more research, but I have a while before I have to worry about that :)  

I haven't been measuring my vines day to day, but I'd estimate anywhere from 2"-6"+ of growth depending on the vine per day, and they are only in 4-4.5 hours of direct light per day :)

So my Sugar baby melon plant really isn't doing great.  The first 2 melons that appeared seem stalled, not sure why exactly (my lack of sun might be the issue).  My 3rd sugar baby that appeared after them, is nearly the same size, but it seems to be slowing down at this point, all 3 are only a little bigger than a softball.  

Only one Crimson sweet took to my hand pollination, and it started a growing a good week after my 3rd sugar baby, and is already bigger.  But that means I have a huge set of vines growing one f-king melon haha.  I did start late, and I get little sun.  Next year I might just skip melons, or if I do melons, only do ONE, as its a waste of my grow space.  Next year I plan on doing some more "shade" type plants and 1-2 rare peppers at least in buckets.

My jalapeno's have started to set fruit, still have tons of flowers that I hand pollinate daily (shaking daily, every 2-3 days flicking the flowers/branches), it has a good 20-30+ flowers at once, but wasn't setting fruit until now.  Now I'd say I have around 10+ TINY starting Jalapeno's and only 2 that look like Jalapeno's lol
My baby red bells aren't setting flowers at all...  Not sure why....  I've harvested two fully ripe tiny peppers, and there are a good 3-4 more much bigger ones that are half way to ripe, as well as another 5-6 that are still fully green.  

I wish I started earlier in the season, but eh, leaning experience.  Next year I'll have a "gangsta" 3rd floor porch grow =P 

cloudy day, catching some rays
edit:  my Jalapeno is 31" and my baby bell 38" tall from the soil
2j4qdj5.jpg

My Jalapeno stem, not too shabby for a little over 2 months since I got my wimpy transplant lola
35l6rd0.jpg

My view from my couch lol....  Our runt cat that is also a cunt, we recently nicknamed her crunt, hummingbirds just left my feeder that hangs to the left that you can't see ;)
16c3rx4.jpg

So I chopped my "Sugar baby" melons down, they hadn't put out female flowers in over a month, and only produced 3 SAD looking melons (softball sized), but they tasted great!  Too bad I had to pick through 6 million seeds to eat anything..  

My other Crimson sweet only has one fully set melon, its almost fully ripe, only 7.5" in diameter, but at least its enough to share with my GF for a after dinner snack...  It has two more melons just starting, one is growing stupid fast, on a 13 foot vine (just measured it!) the other growing a little slower, didn't measure its vine.  I'm not sure if I have enough time left in the season for either of these to fully ripen...  

My Baby bell's are doing great, a good 25-30 peppers on it, some are just about to start ripening, the baby bell plant is nearly 4 ft tall at this point!  They require lots of water, two giant baby bell plants in one 5 gallon container, I guess I should have expected that!

Now My Jalapeno's, the plant is 37-38" at its "peaks", around 35" tall overall, its going great.  Has a good 60+ peppers currently growing!  Already has MANY peppers that are over 3" long.  I've started dedicating most of my lightning efforts towards my Jalapeno plant.  

If I didn't have fungus gnats I'd be keeping the Jalapeno, sad to see it go, but eh, whateve's lol....  I'm going to start next season WAY early from seed, I'll add more lighting if I have to, grow in a closet, have some decent sized plants to put out :)  

2vto6xv.jpg

i5opbb.jpg

My one fresh looking melon haha....  This thing is growing super fast..  I guesstimated the vine to be around 8 foot long, it measures a little over 13 foot LOL....  

My other melon on the same plant is about ready to harvest, I'm ancy to harvest it, as I now once its cut off, this melon will get all the energy/nutes instead of splitting them!  But don't wanna harvest early, so letting it stay for a bit =P

I really wish I got full sun!  And well, wish I had a fucking yard!  Can't wait to rent a houes and not a apt.....   Even if I can't till the yard up, I'll still container grow!  I just want a good 8+ hours of direct sun!  Right now I'm only seeing 3.5 or so :(

fdg45e.jpg

Back