• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First time growing peppers - need some advice

Hi there

This is my first year growing peppers and I would just like some opinions on how my plants are doing. I live in Cape Town, South Africa.

I'm watering them every other day or when the soil looks dry and feeding them with Chrysal Universal Plant Food.

Some of them are yellowing and curling etc. so any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Orange Habanero & Bhut Jolokia:

OrangHabampBhut_zps30175fbd.jpg

Bhut2img_zps0b44f158.jpg

Jalapeno:

Jalapenoimg_zpsf7f3abf7.jpg

Jalapeno2img_zps1982fd5a.jpg

Butch T:

ButchT_zpsd9d7c019.jpg

Bishops Crown:

Bishopscrown_zps7a9a2202.jpg

Cherry Bomb:

CherryBomb_zpse84207fe.jpg

Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet:

JamaicanScotchBonnet_zps2ab5aba5.jpg

they look pretty good besides being kinda yellow. 

Over watering can cause leaf curl / yellowing of leaves, make sure you let the soil dry between watering, If your soil isn't good at draining could take a while.

Also nutrient deficiency can cause yellow plants. Whats your fert schedule like? What kind of soil is that? Any micro nutrients?
More than one nutrient will cause yellow foliage on pepper plants when deficient. Nitrogen deficiency causes whole pepper plants--stem and foliage alike--to develop a light green to yellow color. Low levels of sulfur will also result in yellow leaves. Too little molybdenum causes plants to develop yellow-green foliage. Bottom, older leaves will develop yellow edges or tips when growing in soils with insufficient potassium. Pale green to yellow pepper leaves may also be an early sign of a magnesium deficiency in the soil source
Also nutrient abundance can start burning up your plants. so make sure you aren't ferting too much lol.

roots like dark so the clear containers aren't too great btw.

Agree - too much water. Peppers like things a tad on the dry side - humid vs. wet. Watering every other day is too much. Like others have stated, let the leaves droop just a tad (not a lot) between waterings.

Watering may not be your problem if you don't have good draining out of the bottom of those pots. You really can't have to many from my experience. I had a plant that did similar to these last year in a cheap little pot that had poor draining and I only watered it maybe a handful of times all season other than a rain here or there.

A couple of things from my perspective.

Chili plants in soil seem to do better when they can wilt a bit before watering.

Roots don't do well with light. Your plants would be better off in a container that blocks it out.

Plants tend to do better when potted up in increments rather than seedling to large pot.

Leaves cupping upwards is a sign of a calcium deficiency. It could be locked out due to lack of calcium OR improper PH. If you have a hydro store near you it might be a good idea to pick up some CalMag+ or whatever variant and water it in.

Neil

Hi

Welcome.

This is also my first year (really) growing peppers.

I have find that my peppers in the smaller pots seems to turn yellow, ones it the 20 and 25 liter pots are very happy. Some gets morning sun, others afternoon sun, and I dont see any difference in appearance.

They are all planted in potting soil, and I give them some Seemungus every now and then. I also water every second day if daytime temps are very hot, otherwise every 3 day also work.

Hope it helps 
D

Back