• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First Time Growing Peppers

Hello all,

I am new to this forum!

I have several questions, they might have already been answered...If so please direct me in the way of the post if possible.

I just planted about 120 seeds in plastic trays with a dome on them, Keeping humidity up and temp steady.

I am moving into a house and would like to grow the peppers in the basement. Some will go outside this spring, but I would like to keep some inside.

Is a grow room worth the money for indoor growing?

What kind of light is needed in a grow room...I am looking at a 72x72x72....What fan would I need to circulate air?

What else would be needed for a grow room? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I think most people with that size room would probably be using an HID light like a MH (metal halide) or HPS ( high presure sodium). posibly a few large CFL's in the 125-200 watt range. As far as the econamics of it go..... its going to be exspensive, but hey who dosent what to have fresh hot peppers right off the plant in the middle of winter??? :)

pepper plants need about 3000K per square foot of light to grow to maturity and produce...that is your starting place...36 square feet = 108,000 lumens total...thats a lot of light bulbs...a 400 watt MH or HPS will cover about a 16 sq ft area...so about 1600 watts will get you where you want to be with light intensity...16 hrs a day gives you about 25.6 Kilowatts a day...figuring 13 cents a kilowatt hour gives you about 3.32 a day...so you are looking at about $100 a month added to your electric bill and we are not even talking heat, fans, etc...

IMO if you have an area outside you can put the plants, thats where they need to go and just use your grow room to start seeds and grow seedlings...

I run a little over 3 KW in my growrage in late december, January, and February and let me tell you, the wife hates those electric bills

Back