• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

First time starting spinach

Hey Mr. West, did you ever get to eat that Spinach? I never did get any to grow so gave up on it for now.☹️

Mine grew to fill the cups. I planted out in a fallow patch, and they did well for a week or two before succumbing to bugs or neglect. I did harvest and eat some. The kale and collards have yielded more.

I planned to have spinach seeds in the ground by early March, but totally slept on that. I just bought a bunch of starts though that I'll sink and maybe I'll have time squeeze a round or two of seeds into the harvest rotation.  Last year I did much better with the starts than seeds anyway, so what the heck I guess.

Cool that you got at least some harvest West.

Mr. West said:
Mine grew to fill the cups. I planted out in a fallow patch, and they did well for a week or two before succumbing to bugs or neglect. I did harvest and eat some. The kale and collards have yielded more.
Damned bugs! Not sure why spinach is so difficult, I may try again next year.

We grow spinach in raised boxes with hoops and white cloth covers. Grows extremely well and keeps the bugs out. We also have snail guards on all 6 of our raised boxes.

podz said:
We grow spinach in raised boxes with hoops and white cloth covers. Grows extremely well and keeps the bugs out. We also have snail guards on all 6 of our raised boxes.
Any particular type/brand you are growing?

dragonsfire said:
Ive tried a new variety, a New Zealand one, see what happens.

Is that the one that grows like a vine?  I've heard of "Malabar," but never New Zealand.  Really interested to see what happens here.

Me too, I also read its not a true Spinach, funky seeds, I have a tray that have sprouted. Cant plant till at least a week since snow coming this weekend and maybe earlier, see how it goes.
https://www.wildroseheritageseed.com/store/p75/Spinach_-_New_Zealand.html

oV8rHDv.jpg

Back