• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking First Try Smoking Ribs

i wife loves when i cook... she says i smell like beef jerky...and thats a good thing..lol

your temps are holding good, sounds like your smoker is pretty well dialed in alright.

next time if you want to find out where your hot spots on your smoker, take a tube of refriderator biscuits, open them up and spread them around on your grill, from one side to the other... close your lid for 5 minutes....check to see which ones have the most color and are cooked the best...

Good luck on the ribs. I know how you feel my grandpa had a garage dedicated to inventions / electronics / modifications. I guess that's what retired JPL engineers do??? He was a great cook and I inherited some nice goodies. The best being a very old French made duck press, that's said to be a collectors item.

Well the smoker is still holding at a solid 240-250*F. The meat has shrunk JUUUUUUST a little bit. Still going to be a few hours before the ribs are ready.

LGHT,

I'm still amazed by some of the things my grandpa came up with. When I look back on them I usually think, "Well that makes sense. Why wasn't it done like that to begin with?" I had a fish smoker that he made out of one of the old locking door fridges. He stripped the plastic out of it, made a metal box for the back and put duel propane burner in it. He then made a heavy metal pot out of a pipe and plate for the smoking wood. He had stove pipe elbows that would channel the smoke and heat into the fridge. He had it for 10-15 years and must've smoked a couple thousand pounds of coho, steel head and chinook salmon in there before I got it. Then my ex-g/f's younger brother got at it after it was given to me and well...

Blister said:
Well the smoker is still holding at a solid 240-250*F. The meat has shrunk JUUUUUUST a little bit. Still going to be a few hours before the ribs are ready.

LGHT,

I'm still amazed by some of the things my grandpa came up with. When I look back on them I usually think, "Well that makes sense. Why wasn't it done like that to begin with?" I had a fish smoker that he made out of one of the old locking door fridges. He stripped the plastic out of it, made a metal box for the back and put duel propane burner in it. He then made a heavy metal pot out of a pipe and plate for the smoking wood. He had stove pipe elbows that would channel the smoke and heat into the fridge. He had it for 10-15 years and must've smoked a couple thousand pounds of coho, steel head and chinook salmon in there before I got it. Then my ex-g/f's younger brother got at it after it was given to me and well...

thats the kind of smoker i first started out cooking on with my grandpa as well...still one of the best smokers i have ever cooked on...maybe it was the memories or maybe it was just good food..

oh and if you ever want a good dry brine for salmon let me know... i have been using the same one for year..a little sweet..a nice balance of salt... i cant wait for August so the Kings start coming in just down the road

It's about time for pix!!

Sorry folks, there will be no pics of the ribs as they didn't finish last night. The temps were way too low at the beginning and I wasn't going to be able to wrap the ribs in foil until way late at night. I took them off the smoker and refrigerated them at about 10:30pm last night. I'll probably slather them with some hot sauce and bbq sauce and finish them up on the grill today sometime and have them for lunch :). They smelled fantastic!

I'm going on vacation for the next week and won't be able to try this again until I get back. Now that I've got the smoker a little better dialed in, I should be able to get a much better result on the next try. This is all leading up to a nice big Pulled pork butt.

Blister FAIL! Just kidding. Looking forward to your next try.

well, as part of my never give up, never think things through attitude, I've wrapped the ribs in tinfoil and placed them on my BBQ. I'm going to let them sit for a bit then give them a quick shot of heat and sauce. Should be a good lunch :)

Back