• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First Year Operation (UPDATED w/ pics)

I started out think I would grow a few Reapers and couple Moruga Scorpions. Then this happened:

Toms

1 Jellybean
2 White Bianca
2 Black Zebra
3 Hayley's Purple Comet

Peppers

4 White Habanero
3 Bhut Jolokia
3 Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
2 Red Scotch Bonnet
2 Carolina Reaper
2 Satan's Kiss
3 Fresno Red
2 Chi Chein 
2 Jwala
2 Anaheim

All raised from seed starting in January on an indoor grow. I had 70+ plants at first, but gave some starters to friends and family, and sold a dozen of them to Grocery Cafe, a Burmese restaurant opening in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco. (and lost a few, of course) All organic. They were hardened and potted up, then into the raised wicking beds. A blend of turkey compost with clean topsoil gave me a pH of 7.09 and 1.93% nitrogen. Should work nicely.

Anyway, I have tremendous growth on my tomatoes, strong on the peppers (some are being a little lazy still, but it's early in the season). A couple ripe fruits, one of my Satan's Kiss which was just a fantastic little pepper, and a Fresno I picked today that was delicious, and had a much stronger heat signature than store bought pods.

Today I counted 56 buds on my White Habs, 40 on my Reapers, a dozen on the Bonnets, and too many to count on the remaining varieties. And that's just the peppers. Toms are huge, but buds are slow to start compared to the peppers.

Here is a pic of my modest grow.

20160607_184624%201_zpskgyhe8eb.jpg

Good weather, good soil, good breeze, good nutrients, and self watering beds. This should be a productive season.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for the good words, and okay already, here are more pics and a breakdown of the raised beds as requested.

They are 25" tall. Two are 5 x 3 and one is an 8 x 4. Posts are 4 x 4, and the two smaller beds are wrapped in untreated fence boards. The larger is wrapped in common untreated douglas fir if I remember correctly.  Then they were lined several times in 6 mil plastic.

I used ten foot lengths of agri-pipe capped at the ends in a U shape, cut a two inch hole in the tops of them, stuffed a piece of two inch pvc and taped the hell out of them to hold them in place. Laid them at the bottom on top of the plastic liner. Then shoveled in a total of 2 tons of gravel for a water table. Cut a 3/4 inch hold and slipped 3/4 inch pvc in the sides for an overflow drain.

20160522_204049_zps0nwqrfxe.jpg

Then filled with water to the drain level to test for leaks. Looked like this:

20160523_151851_zps13kaigad.jpg

Then about 3 cubic yards of the turkey compost I mentioned in the first post. 

Here was my indoor operation to get plants started.

20160504_204235_zpsqx13qilw.jpg

Here was the initial survivors hardening while I get around to building the beds.

20160513_105354_zps8tdnztrs.jpg

And here is one of my White Habs showing off some pods.

20160603_104247_zpstfyfdjuf.jpg

Thanks for looking! 

Oh, I should have said. So, I fill the water table through the 2" pvc, and when I see water out of the overflow I stop. The water wicks up the soil and water from the bottom up. I top watered right after transplant so the plants would get moisture while the wicking process was getting started. Took about a week, and I have good moisture all from the water table. Top it off every now and then, and don't have to disrupt the mulch or run drip hoses and remember a watering schedule. I already have to remember my neem oil and epsom salt spray schedules.

Back