• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fish bone meal attracting way too many flies

I got 25 pounds of Dr. Earth Fish Bone Meal for $15 from my local hydroponics store because it was stinking up their warehouse. I knew it was a good deal, and figured there'd be no harm in adding it to my compost/dirt pile...I was wrong.

When it was dry it wasn't too bad but it rained today and not even 5 minutes afterwards my entire yard smelled like dead fish. To add to the dead fish experience a few hundred huge (almost dime sized bodied) flies started swarming my compost heap.

I threw some seaweed on the pile, and the smell went away for the most part, but the flies are still swarming around it.

What can I do?

They should go away within a week same thing happens when I throw my guinea pig manure in mine just let it break down a little a they will leave

I just cut down my garden from last year with tons of bunch onions still growing in it with the lawnmower to make space for a shadehouse.

The smell of rotting onion was horrible for a week.

The flies loved that too.

it smells worse than yesterday, but with all the dry seaweed on top it's not overpowering. There's around a hundred flies today, so I'll say the neem oil was a success.

I'm seriously considering just taking all of the dirt it was mixed into and throwing it into the lake behind my house

I solved my problem by buying 200 pounds of the cheapest top soil home depot had ($1.25 per 40 pounds so, $6.25 for the 200) and dumping it on top of the leaves I tried to use to cover up the smell.

It's great cause I don't smell it any more and either the maggots will live and keep breaking down the fish bone meal or they'll get composted win/win.

Back