• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fish emulsion and seaweed dosage?

To all out there who are using fish emulsion, namely the Neptune's Harvest variety (I'm looking at you PepperRidgeFarm!) What kind of dosage are you using per gallon? For outdoor plants, both the seaweed and fish emulsion say to use 1/8 cup per gallon, but I often read of people using more dilute amounts than recommended.

To be honest, I'm really worried about over fertilizing, so I've been really slack about using either the seaweed or the fish emulsion, and have only fed once since they've been outside. However, I'm sure some of the plants in my raised bed especially could use a green up, and Epsom salts has helped, but hasn't solved the problem completely.

I've searched the forum a good bit for this info, but haven't heard anyone really spell out their dosage and fertilizer schedule. So in an arsenal of nutes containing Neptune's Seaweed, Neptune's fish emulsion, and Epsom Salts, what kind of fertilizing regimen do ya'll use?

Most fish emulsions that I've used are high in nitrogen, but it appears the Neptune's harvest is higher in phosphorous(2-4-1) so it may not be as great for greening up

I use of capful per gallon of both Neptune's products but haven't used either since my plants moved outside in April. This stuff is great on small seedlings but it might get rather expensive to feed a garden. I still try to stay organic outside and have side dressed my plants with bone meal, worm castings, and epson salts at different times. The bone meal is what I'd recommend it made the biggest difference in overall health of my plants, all greened up very nicely. I used 2 teaspoon per container and that was plenty. Just give the Capsicum what they need and no more.

The grower where I got mine from said it's pretty strong and should be used to feed your soil and not so much the plants in the soil. He suggested if using an already rich soil like the ocean farm stuff that I should only use a couple of tablespoons per gallon every 4th feeding. However if I'm putting them in plain potting soil with no added nutrients I can go as high as a 1/2 cup per gallon, but again only feed as needed because the soil will retain most of the nutrients.

FYI I have only been using it for a month and I'm just passing on notes by a gardner who also grows peepers so take it as is.

Alright, thanks a million folks. I've also got a fresh bag of last year's Espoma's tomato tone that's rated at 4-7-10. I believe I may just use this as recommended on the bag as a side dressing for my potted plants and raised beds. I've already mixed a bit into the soil when I potted up all my plants to 5 gallon pots, so they should be fine for a while.

Also, I've got a bag of Espoma's Plant Tone rated at 5-3-3, so perhaps I'll sidedress with this just to green the few that need it. Once they get larger I'll switch over to the Tomato Tone to get more P and K in there. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

And thanks Cappy, I'll get a bag of bone meal this weekend.

Hey Landis read the list of ingredients of both the Espoma's Tomato Tone and Plant Tone. One of them I think the plant tone is already very high in bone meal and is what's recommended if you cannot find bone meal straight. Might save you a trip to the garden center.:)

Thanks Cappy. Yeah, both fertilizers are organic granulars, and are based on bone meal, manure, blood meal, and various seed meals like cottonseed. I think this may do the trick, as long as I don't overdo it with the Nitrogen. I'm thinking I'll just give them one application of the Plant Tone and see what happens. Thanks again for your help. Most of my plants are looking really good, and there's no way in hell I'd have gotten them this far without the help of this forum!

Back