• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fish Emulsion

So, I was browsing around at the local Ace Hardware earlier...(It's about the only place I know of anywhere near here that carry's Pro Mix ONLINE.) As I was looking around, I made a trip down the fertilizer/pesticide isle. And what did I see? A bottle of fish emulsion! I didn't think I would be able to find that around here. So, I grabbed a bottle.
Just a few minutes ago, I decide to go ahead and try ssome out. I opened the bottle, and I'm pissed. I'm pretty sure that they sold me a bottle of liquid DOOKIE!!! (Yes, I know fish emulsion smells bad! Just messin around!)

you will love that smell when you see how big healthy your plants get . i was same way i said i will never use this thing. but after i tried it i keep at leat 5 bottles extra and use this fertilizer every year . i mix it every time i water the plants VERY good stuff

what is the brand of the emulsion? and what is upsetting about it?

.... had to look up the term dookie(US slang for feces)..

i have a bottle of alaskan fish fertilizer, i don't know the brand, i could go out to the garage and look but its -11F and i am staying put! but my fertilizer is real thick and gooey(dark brown in colour) and nice and stinky.

Ah i see the humor in poop but it still beats the old way of burying a fish under your plant not to mention the attraction of cat to fish

lol...the brand is "ferti-lome." It's the only kind of emulsion they had. I am also doing a worm farm this year. But, it will unfortunately be awhile before I get anything out of it. It's only in a one-gallon bucket. I will probably be able to get some tea out of it, but thats about it.
I'm pretty excited to try it this year though. Heard nothing but good stuff about it!
A bit of GOOD news is that the gentleman that works at Ace told me that if it's offered on their website, I can have it delivered to the store. Sooooo, that means that this year I will also be getting to use Pro Mix! Well, for the plants that will be in pots. (About 20-30 plants.) :woohoo:

Not sure where you live in NC, but here are some distributors of Promix in your state.http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/index.htm. I got some from a distributor in WA and like it alot,

I appreciate the heads up. But, now that I know that I can just have it shipped to the store here in town, I will just do that. Price is about average. Around $32 a bail. I just wonder how many bails I will need. If anyone has used this stuff, how many 5-gallon buckets will a bail of Pro Mix BX fill?

Don't let'em fool ya Pooper, it is dookey!

You should be able to get 10-15 five gallon buckets out of a bail of Pro Mix. Is it the BX or the HP?

I appreciate the heads up. But, now that I know that I can just have it shipped to the store here in town, I will just do that. Price is about average. Around $32 a bail. I just wonder how many bails I will need. If anyone has used this stuff, how many 5-gallon buckets will a bail of Pro Mix BX fill?

I never bothered counting them, but I would guess somewhere between 10 to 12 5 gal buckets.

Ok, you hafta go to the outlet warehouse. PHEW!!
Is one type better that the other? They have the white bale, and the black one. I thought the WHITE bail is what I wanted. That correct?
It looks like I hijacked my own thread. lol

Ok, you hafta go to the outlet warehouse. PHEW!!
Is one type better that the other? They have the white bale, and the black one. I thought the WHITE bail is what I wanted. That correct?
It looks like I hijacked my own thread. lol

Do you have a link? I can't find an ACE online site that will ship to store. When I search for and ACE outlet warehouse all I get is a independent store in NY.

LOL just saw your post... you beat me by a few seconds. Funny thing is I did the same thing about a week ago looking for Pro-Mix at ACE.. can't find it within 800 miles of El Paso.

Yeah, looks liek I'm screwed. We have a few "feed & seed" places around here, with a few growers with green houses. I will see what I can find out this weekend. I think I will go to a couple of the "feed & seed" places right now! lol

one bail should plant you 5 plants in 5 gallon buckets

My calculations show approximately 52.8 gallons or a little over 10.5 five gallon buckets. Add the volume of the medium surrounding the plant placed in the bucket when potting up and my initial guess of 10 to 12 buckets was fairly close. ;)

Funny thing is I did the same thing about a week ago looking for Pro-Mix at ACE.. can't find it within 800 miles of El Paso.
I looked online using their site too and nothing was listed within 100's of miles, but I found it at a farmer's co-op in town for $28.95 per bale. Check with your local co-op. If they don't have it perhaps they'll order it for you.

Back