Fish Emulsion

Right around the corner, who wouldda thunk? :)

Glad ya found it HP, though I wonder why you'll be waiting another 2 months b4 using some of the good stuff.

Well, right now I don't need it. I will use it for when I plant out. When I move from starter soil trays, or peat pellets, I move my plants to 3" pots, and use my own soil mix. I go rather heavy on the peat. It's worked well for me SO far!

my mom says that she uses the water from washing the fish entrails on her plants. essentially the same stuff, i guess. minus the processing.

Well, right now I don't need it. I will use it for when I plant out. When I move from starter soil trays, or peat pellets, I move my plants to 3" pots, and use my own soil mix. I go rather heavy on the peat. It's worked well for me SO far!
The move to 3" pots is exactly where I would use it to inoculate the roots with the myco. It's the larger pots thereafter where I use my mix, but that's just me.

The move to 3" pots is exactly where I would use it to inoculate the roots with the myco. It's the larger pots thereafter where I use my mix, but that's just me.

Sounds like a great strategy, that’s the direction I'll be going this season. I'll need to find a local supplier for the "Pro Mix BX".

If you don't mind me asking what blend do you use in your larger pots?

I'll go with another 100 "5-gal" pots again this season and would like to blend my own mix. I am tempted to try the fish emulsion as well.

Thanks everyone for all the growing tips, Jack

I found a place an hour away that sells Pro-Mix BX 3.8 Cu ft. bales for $28.5. :woohoo:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/pro-mix-bx-38cf-compressed/soil-growing-medium

Unfortunately, they're a mail order company. The shipping on a 3.8 Cu ft. bale is over $40. :eek: I emailed them to see if I could buy some and come pick it up on site. Hopefully they say yes...

For some reason they sell 1 Cu ft. bags of pro-mix for $18. :crazy: That size bag is $6 at Menards. It doesn't make any sense that the 1 Cu ft. bag is absurdly expensive while the 3.8 is really cheap. 1 Cu ft. for $18, or 7 Cu ft. (loosened) for $28... :crazy:

I found a place an hour away that sells Pro-Mix BX 3.8 Cu ft. bales for $28.5. :woohoo:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/pro-mix-bx-38cf-compressed/soil-growing-medium

Unfortunately, they're a mail order company. The shipping on a 3.8 Cu ft. bale is over $40. :eek: I emailed them to see if I could buy some and come pick it up on site. Hopefully they say yes...

For some reason they sell 1 Cu ft. bags of pro-mix for $18. :crazy: That size bag is $6 at Menards. It doesn't make any sense that the 1 Cu ft. bag is absurdly expensive while the 3.8 is really cheap. 1 Cu ft. for $18, or 7 Cu ft. (loosened) for $28... :crazy:

Update, they do on site pickup. :woohoo:

I wouldn't pay $40 for shipping in that. That's crazy! That's why I went on the hunt for some around here. As little as there is around here, I feel extremely lucky. It's not weird I'm talking like this over soil, is it? Lol

I wouldn't pay $40 for shipping in that. That's crazy! That's why I went on the hunt for some around here. As little as there is around here, I feel extremely lucky. It's not weird I'm talking like this over soil, is it? Lol

Yeah I did a shipping estimate on 3 bales and 90 7 gallon nursery buckets just out of curiosity, the shipping was about $200. :eek: Because of the size and weight normal mail won't deliver it, it comes on a freight truck or something. The price of the stuff itself was about $150. Hmm...$18 in gas vs. $200 shipping...good thing they'll let me come pick it up!

Back