• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fish Hydrolysate questions and concepts

1. Approximately how much fish material do i need if i plan on filling a 5 gallon bucket with water?
2. Should I add anymore fermentable sugars (honey, molasses, etc?)
3. I have some London Ale yeast left over from an IPA brew (el gigante, as I call it....), would adding this aid in the fermentation, and would i need to strain out the yeast at the end before I fed the mixture to the plants?

Just trying to get a grasp on the concept and maybe make tweaks. I know as most say on here its just "fish and water" from my research, but maybe if you can invoke a more intense fermentation, you can cut down the time to wait for the good stuff! I know at least for beer, primary fermentation is nowhere near a month (think 1 week or less of actual airlock activity)

Plants don't like to drink alcohol, so adding yeast is counterproductive. I imagine if you pulverize (think blender) the fish and aerate the water the process will be greatly accelerated. Lazy people (me) just dump a few fish carcasses in a bucket, cover, and wait.

make fresh fish mulch then put it in your compost tea, it'll smell bad but any good fish product is gonna smell like fish

Back